Re: (TFT) Is the Action Phase Dynamic or Static?

At 18:03 -0400 5/29/09, Your best buddy and mine, Sgt. Hulka, wrote:
Example number 1:

A DX 10 Spearman charges a DX 12 Swordsman. Before the DX 10 Spearman acts, a DX 11 Spearman kills the same target. Now the DX 10 Spearman changes his action. He decides to throw his spear at a DX 12 Swordsman. Who acts first, the DX 10 Spearman or the DX 12 Swordsman?

Dynamic: When the DX 10 Spearman changes his action, he loses the advantage of charging with a Pole Weapon. He drops to Adjusted DX 10 and the Adjusted DX 12 Swordsman that he's throwing at goes first.

Correct, IMHO.

A DX 10 Spearman receives a charge from a DX 13 Swordsman. The DX 13 Swordsman, during movement, declares his action "Defend".

I would not allow "charge-defend" if the swordsman moved 1/2 movement allowance. However I would allow "shift-defend" if the swordsman shifted (one hex only) into engagement with the spearman. In this case, I'm on the fence about allowing the spearman the +2 set vs. charge DX modifier, but assuming I do allow that...

The DX 10 Spearman, during movement, declares his action "Attack (receive a charge)". We move to the Action Phase. The DX 10 Spearman goes first because he's receiving a charge with a pole weapon. But now he says "okay, I'm gonna change my action to disengage." In response, the swordsman says "okay, I'm gonna change my action to attack." Which comes first?

Dynamic: When the Spearman changes his action, he loses the advantage of receiving a charge with a polearm, and drops to normal order. At DX 10, he acts after the DX 12 Swordsman. So the swordsman attacks and then, if he survives, the Spearman disengages.

This is correct, IMHO.

Example 3:

There's a big scrum. A DX 10 Swordsman is fighting two DX 12 Axemen. At DX 13, the Swordsman's buddy knocks one of the Axemen down. The DX 10 Swordsman attacks the now-prone Axeman.

Dynamic: The DX 10 Swordsman is now attacking at AdjDex 14, so he attacks before the second DX 12 Axeman.

Correct, IMHO.

Example 4:

A DX 12 Wizard and a DX 10 Swordsman are fighting two DX 11 Axemen. The Two Axemen are attacking the Swordsman and vice versa. The Wizard casts blur on the DX 10 Swordsman. The DX 11 Axemen drop to AdjDX 7.

Dynamic: The DX 10 Swordsman now attacks before the two Axemen.

Correct, IMHO. So I come down solidly on the side of "dynamic".