Re: (TFT) back from the olympics

On 3/24/10 5:52 PM, Mark Tapley wrote:
Trying to catch up on all sorts of things, sorry for the delayed response. One of the reasons I like TFT is that it *does* supply non-lethal options. Several spells (Freeze, Sleep, Drop Weapon, Avert....), "Subduing Blows", and potions and magic items all enable you to overcome your opponents in such a way as to leave them able to learn from the experience. When I'm playing with the kids, I pretty much *insist* on that behavior from them when they have a chance, and when I'm refereeing, well, I make it clear that if they take a kill-or-be-killed mindset to the world, they might well not end up being at the top of the food chain. That seems to help a lot with getting the spousal unit interested in the game, and it presents more and more interesting challenges to the kids than a simple "hack them before they hack you" approach would.
    Healthier than video games that way too, IMHO.
This connects to the "do we have the moral high ground" discussion I allotted in my "ideal gaming session" timeline a few posts back, too.

Healthier than video games? That's if you buy into the rhetoric that violent conflict inside of a video game is un-healthy.

I've been playing video games, of all sorts, for the past 29 years. It's my hobby - my devotion - my passion - and my career. So far, I have not become a crazed homicidal maniac, or exhibited any kind of antisocial tendencies whatsoever - I've never been in jail for violence, hell, I don't even know how to really fight very well.

So, when I see sweeping generalizations like this, it makes me wonder what sort of evidence you are using to back up the notion that violence in video games is unhealthy.

David Jackson