Re: (TFT) Energy, units, cautionary notes.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Tapley"

At 3:07 -0400 3/26/10, Jay wrote:
Dynamite ~20,000fps or ~3,636 ST

Jay, I have trouble with your choice of units here.

Me too ;-)

Converting a "ST" to a speed (feet per second) just doesn't seem
consistent. Put another way, the speed has to be connected with a
mass to mean anything in terms of either energy or momentum. A single
atom at 20,000 fps is negligible, whereas a locomotive at that speed
would be almost thermonuclear.

Right, explosives are rather tricky and Jay's still pretty vague.
Vagueness is an occupational hazzard as I'm afraid as I have almost no idea what a player might try to blow up. Agreed! 13,500mph+ is around fifty thousand times slower than light. Not much for an atom but one heck of a trainwreck.

My first assumption here is that the mass in question is the mass of the explosive itself.
x weight of "generic dynamite" explodes at 20,000fps
My next assumption is that the explosion is (basicly, I know the stick is a line) spherical. Lay that stick on the ground and about half the force is directing more or less into the ground. It may help to know here that a rough average for the surface area of a human is about 16 feet, the same area as a square hex, so the roughly half a hex silhouette presented by a human (1 hex for giant (?) 1/4 hex for halfling (?)) should prove useful in calling how much of the force actually presents itself across the Figure. Also, the diameter of a ring of hexes radiating from a central hex is actually a pretty simple count (+6 per additional ring out from center hex), I most deffently do not intend explosives to do over 3500 ST of damage but rather look at figures like that from an encumberance pov, as in "how much x can be moved how far by 3500 ST (applied in 1 turn)?"

I would be happier (not completely happy) connecting "ST" to
either momentum or (kinetic) energy, since to at least some
approximation, strength allows you to pack momentum and energy into a
tool or projectile (during a throw, or a swing).

1pt ST = 5.5lbs @ 1fps (5.5 pounds is about 2.5kg)
Dividing down I'm suggesting that 1pt of ST can throw a 5oz baseball at about 5fps meaning Joe Average ought to be throwing at about 50fps from shere brute force. (no kenetic linking of motion, etc. to add velocity ah la Talents) No human Figure may move faster than 200fps w/o assistance mechanical or magical reguardless of physique, training or tallent.

I would be happiest connecting "ST" to *power* (Watts), or spelled out,

Okay, how about this?
"let's imagine that a road crew member is shoveling dirt. Each shovel-full weighs 13> pounds. Sure, that's weight, but did you know that it is also force? Now, our crew member deposits each load of dirt onto a heap about 4 feet away (about one hex) from where he is digging. The 4 feet is the distance. Now we have two of the three parts. Combined, the force and distance constitute 55 ft-lbs of work. Work is going on, which is no surprise to the sweating workman! Now let's insert the third ingredient, time. It takes our worker one second to do each shovel-full -- that's our time element, giving us 55 ft-lbs per second. Now we have all three ingredients -- force, distance, and time, and tada! -- we have power."
55 ft-lbs per second is 10 ST and 1 ST is 1/100th of 1hp.
1 horsepower = 745.699872 watts
1pt ST is around 7.5 watts