Re: (TFT) Wizard mods - out of balance?

Another idea is to allow ways for wizards to spend less ST on a spell. Maybe if the spell is a certain number of points below their IQ level, it costs less, similar to the way that the farther a spell is below a wizard's IQ level, the less he has to do physically in order to cast it. Or, you could allow "specialization", the in-game logic being that if a wizard knows a lot of similar spells, he gains better understanding of how those spells work, allowing him to use less ST to cast them. This would enable the stereotypical old, frail, high-IQ wizard to still have access to things like summoning large dragons.

Still, I definitely would rather have the number of spells a wizard can cast linked to ST, not IQ. Just seems better balanced. The ST- battery staff is a rule I've played with once or twice, and it's nice. In the standard rules, a staff is pretty much just an implement of self-defense, but that rule gives it a dual-functionality which is very convenient. Tends to mitigate the "one-shot wonder" syndrome a little.

Of course, when the wizards do decide to go for the one-shot wonder (14-die Lightning bolts, etc.), it just makes it that much more spectacular...

- Meg