Re: (TFT) Wizard mods - out of balance?

I sort of prefer the Magery idea from GURPS ... let the wizard buy
levels of Magery for character points ( or experience points later ) and
then come up with some kind of a formula to come up with a figure
on how much magical power the wizard can generate.

For example, suppose we say that Magical Power = Magery X ST.
Beginning figures would have a low level of Magery and thus low levels of power at their disposal while the the old wizard might be
failing in ST but have Magery out the wazoo and would therefore
have very high levels of magical power at his disposal.

Just an idea, I haven't fleshed this out very much yet.

Dan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Margaret Tapley" <barnswallow@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Wizard mods - out of balance?

Another idea is to allow ways for wizards to spend less ST on a spell. Maybe if the spell is a certain number of points below their IQ level, it costs less, similar to the way that the farther a spell is below a wizard's IQ level, the less he has to do physically in order to cast it. Or, you could allow "specialization", the in-game logic being that if a wizard knows a lot of similar spells, he gains better understanding of how those spells work, allowing him to use less ST to cast them. This would enable the stereotypical old, frail, high-IQ wizard to still have access to things like summoning large dragons.