Re: (TFT) TFT, numbers and crunchy bits. What a campaign says.

Hey Avitus! (Alsef)
David,
I sort of see where you are coming from, but I think its overly simplified to say all talents work this way inherently.
Take, for example, Sword.
By the rules, it doesn't take that much ability to learn Sword.... only a few IQ and someone to learn from (and some time to learn it... both of these meaning that its not EASY to get per se, but far from something that can't be done by most people!). So having sword does not make you a great swordmaster, it just makes you better with a sword than most people who haven't learned to use one.... But what if I have a high DX? its possible that I don't need sword at all, if my DX is high enough... then I can pick up any weapon and the negative modifiers won't be enough to make me TOTALLY ineffective, right? A man with 20 DX is better than a man with 10 DX and Sword. So its too simple to say that having the talent makes you a master and not having the talent makes mastery impossible (though this is true to an extent, as you need the sword talent to get fencing). I would say someone with a higher IQ and high DX as well as sword and fencing (and perhaps several other talents i'm not thinking of at the moment) could be called a master of swordsmanship.
-Joe