Re: Re: Re: (TFT) Two Weapons/Thrown Weapons

Just to clarify the rules point, it is ony trying to pick up a weapon (or 2) as part of one's movement that makes the plan not work within the rules.  Standard techniques like Drawing a weapon, Taking the action "pick up dropped weapon", or "Change weapon" (including exchanging weapons witha friend within 1 hex) all result in a ready weapon, available for throwing.

So a figure with thrown weapons could stank by a pile of axes and throw one each turn by using the pickup weapon option, at least that is how the rules read to me.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "John" <johnnyboytmm@juno.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: (TFT) Two Weapons/Thrown Weapons
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:37:40 GMT

Yeah, I think the question was more of a "Rules as written" question.  To which question, the answer is NO, the rules,  do not support "scooping up 2 axes off the floor, readying,  and throwing them both -  on the same turn".  In fact, picking up one fallen throwable weapon and throwing it in the same turn is not supported by the rules as written.

Also, it is not entirely clear to me that the 2 weapons skill, as written, is really intended to allow the throwing of 2 weapons.  It is really designed to allow a 2 sword style of fighting.  But it does not specifically disallow throwing, so I think a two weapon fighter with, say, 2 maces could smash with the first, and throw the second, entirely within the rules, as written.

As to whether the rules accurately reflect reality in every respect, probably not.  I think we can all agree.  The benefit of the rules as written, is that they are clear(ish) and concise, and make clear precisely what each figure can do, and when.  Therefore, all the information one needs is "on the map".

Once you start saying, "well, 5 seconds is long enough, so, notwithstanding that there are clear rules to teh contrary in the game we all agreed to play, and notwithstanding that you are unarmed, you can pick up 2 weapons, throw them, and potentially kill two other characters, as long as you make this series of roles that I have pulled out of my cinematic opinionator (but have all sorts of tables of data to support the idea that it is theoreticaly possible within the time constraints), - you are playing a different game.  Now if you documented all those rolls ahead of time, and everyone agreed to playing that different game, OK, but otherwise, not so much - or if everyone agrees that, rules notwithstanding, the GM can assign a role to allow any character (PC or NPC) to do non-rules-compliant stuff, because it would look cool, then also OK, but again, it is a different game, and one where everything is not contained on the map (and in the rules).

I used to play that way, and we had fun, but we did not use the hexmap, or figures, we just used 3d6 vs dex, and everything else in combat was mostly narrative.  I found this led to less agreement as to what was going on, and more pressure on the GM to fudge.

Playing by clearly established rules, either as written (what I do) or as estensively house ruled ahead of time, takes all that away, and allows for the map to be definitive, and the dice to fall where they may.  Which lately I enjoy more as a GM, since it makes it easier for me - fewer judgement call, less debate or fudging, etc. - but also less supporting of cinematic play, and robust hollywood creativity.  You take the good with the bad.

On the other hand, if that same player character, took the time to stash weapons in grabable locations throughout his home, or wherever they were staying at the time, so that he always had a readiable weapon nearby, without being obviously armed, I would totally let him use them, if he is in teh right spot, almost as if they were on his person, since he specifically prepared for it up front.

Anyway, different rules get you a different gameplay, that's pretty much all I am getting at here, everyone just needs to find the combination that gets the results they want.