Re: Re: (TFT) progress report

Joey Beutel wrote:

> Okay, I get that point, but from a game play POV goblins in TFT are very
> weak and have a low DX. Vikings (those who Vike... haha) should be
> capable fighters. If you want to 'call' them something else to make
> killing them less bad feeling, I'd suggest calling them orcs.... the same
> as humans in a gaming sorta way, but they are made the 'other' in the
> player's minds.

" If I've got a group of classic gamers' then I'll just stick with
the "classic" old-school mental pictures of these races and just make the
islanders and all of Polyneisa caucasoid."

> ....What?

Uggg, yeah... Jay trying to adknowledge that he plays with a small group of
white guys currently.
I was trying to talk about how it takes a whole lot of explanatory work to
get a newish-type player to "get" where the racial tensions are... then if
you've added "wrinkles" to the concept... it's usually just easier to let
them see themselves like Den from Heavy Metal which case in my current play
group ends up just making Oceania a bunch of white folks.

"I choose to use fantasy terms because if I choose to use actual modern
racial slurs I might be even more misunderstood."

True enough.
If anybody is gonna get any kind of amature "therapy" outta my game-play
it's not gonna be through transference and not psychodynamics.
I'd rather a player just "get it all out" by slaying every last old man,
woman, and child in the "Orc" village and then setting it all to the torch
before sowing the fields with salt rather than try and enter into in depth
discussions with me about our opposing views on the real-world implications
of my game-world in the middle of play.
I may have something to say in how I choose to construct my game-world (as
a matter of fact that's probably unavoidable in building a game-world) but
I'm not the kind of Mnoren that thinks his view is somehow superior to his
fellows.
As a matter of fact, I pick areas where the players are encouraged to take
control asap.
I figure if the players Figure is in control of a location then they have
to GM that location.
As quick as I can sluff off a chunck of book-keeping onto the players as an
aspect of the "game" I feel like Tom Sawyer charging to have a crack at
painting his fence.
And of course, if they don't care to be a Dwight Schrute to my Michael
Scott then they can start their own universe in the Mnoren Multiverse.
"Killing the Game" is a Duce-joint I believe...

> So what I'm getting from this is that you want to call the other human
> (in their actual physical capabilities and appearance) groups by fantasy
> names so that they are dehumanized within the game.

Well, let's say "humanoid".
If they can make a half-something then they can't be too far apart IMO.

> Okay, I thought you meant using the TFT stats for the various races for
> their real world 'counterparts,' in which case I took a bit of issue, as
> the goblin stats just don't match up with what a Viking needs to be, etc
> etc...

Hee hee hee... like I said explanatory effort.
Actually the Vikings could have a strong Goblin component to
their "bloodline" (ie timeline) that might become "understated" by the
culture after a passage of 5 or 10 generations (100 to 200 years roughly).
How did Hopper put the idea to Walken in that movie True Romance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqccyUpnZwA
I'll take the bullets to the idea of a death by inches but I'd rather avoid
the whole prospect at least until I've approached finishing what I've
started...
It seems I'm more reminding myself not to draw prophet pictures at those
that won't get it than anything else here but as usual with Jay "open beer,
insert brain" leads to open mouth insert foot results.

I dig the dialogue though Sir!