Re: (TFT) Scoop/throw

Waitaminnit - St only influences HTH dagger damage, not throwing knife damage.

Also, that character might want to look into shuriken, and pole weapons, and the spear thrower.  Running talent, and the higher MA that goes with it, makes getting a charge attack with one's pole weapon much more likely.  He may want to be ab elf as well, to get a 14 MA - nobody expects a 7 hex movement charge attack - nobody.  Also, thrown weapon and the spear thrower are a great combination.  Without the scoop and throw houserule (which seems to need acrobat in your houserule example) I'd ditch acrobat for pole weapons and spear thrower for this particular odd character (assuming he can get both, I have not looked it up) and maybe pick up shuriken later.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Jay Carlisle <maou.tsaou@gmail.com>
To: "tft@brainiac.com" <tft@brainiac.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Scoop/throw
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 00:06:08 -0700

I got to thinking about the viability of such an odd starting Figure.
Here's what I came up with.

1d6-4 basically means the Figure only scores damage with about a third of
its total successful hits.
1d6-3 increases that percentage up to half the time.
So 125 exp, or a lucky Job roll gives him a 50/50 shot at doing from 1 to 3
points of damage.
Another 250 exp gets the Figure 2 more ST to get those knifes up to 1d6-2
giving the Figure a roughly two out of three hits chance of doing from 1 to
4 points of damage and still gets 1 more point for 125 exp before the
price goes up.
In one year a Figure can woke as a Town Laborer @ no requirements, $5 a week
pay, and no risk.
That Figure earns $260 in one year.
An experienced henchman who qualifies on the Job Table as a 6 Weapon Talent
Armsmaster would get $120 to go on an adventure with the Town Laborer
meaning he could hire 2, leaving him $20 that would buy 2 daggers
Give the adventure the goal of getting the Figure 125 experience points by
killing nuisance creatures let's say.
Even if the Figure gets wounded and doesnt earn the whole 125 in one try it
still should have a fairly good chance of survival to heal-up, earn-up, and
give it another go especially if they are conservative in the risk.
Of course in this situation the Grey Mouser in training would probably want
to attempt 4d6 and 5d6 checks against DX (4d6 avg roll ~14) maybe by trying
to use their Acrobatics Talent to try some sort of cinematic type of scoop
off the ground maneuver, maybe a forward flip of 1 or 2 hexes, and if its
ready that turn they can throw it that turn.
A successful check in a risk situation at 4d6 is 10 or more exp points
regardless of if damage is done or not.
The section on Saving Rolls in TFT ITL pg 37-38 gives a table for multiple
d6 checks and ends by saying;
Automatic success is for saving rolls, or for accomplishing some feat the
first try - plus anything else a generous GM allows. But automatic failure
applies on everything.
The way it reads to me the cinematic stuff are checks exceeding the
average effort of 3d6.
The section on Recovery From Exhaustion in TFT AM pg 25 says;
Any Figure can also suffer exhaustion from running too far too fast, from
trying some great feat of strength, etc.
So for the Mouser in training Figure Id charge him ST just like a Wizard
for attempting something cinematic like that, succeed or fail generally a
point per die past 3.
That all seems basically kosher to me as far as the rules go.
So the answer to the question as to my seriousness about throwing out a
Figure that can only do 1 or 2 points of damage every third time it hits
(roughly) is yes, Im serious and not in a loop-hole kind of way.
And dont forget Dagger Marksmanship (TFT AM pg 21-22) its a -6 to stick a
head or hand from 3 hexes or less with a successful check ignoring armor and
doing x2 dam to the head (hand drops anything carried but chainmail or
better protects).
If that Figure puts its first character point in DX raising it to 14 then
they have an 8 or less check at normal 3d6 effort to put a boot-knife to the
head, which works out to about 1 success every 4 shots.
Oh yeah, $4000 gets me 2 +1 DX, +2 dam daggers.
Now lets get weird.
Lets say that this Figure comes from a wealthy background and its knives
have the same spells on them.
If one of the spells on both knives is +5 ST does that count toward the HtH
damage table if he throws both of them in the same turn, i.e. does the
Second blow from Two Weapons Talent (@ -4 DX) happen before a Missile
Weapons second attack?
Do the blows happen simultaneously?
How about monster abilities, are they timed any differently?