Re: (TFT) Long Term Play

On Sep 7, 2011, at 6:37 PM, K Peterson wrote:

One question I'd have about long term play is just basic survivability. How likely is it that a TFT PC is going to survive to even reach old age, during a career of adventuring? (Assuming an "average" level of lethality in encounters that a PC faces). An impression I got reading ITL was that there wasn't likely
to be many TFT retirees.
Thats if you keep going. The problem with the current job rules and aging rules is that it makes sense to retire after your first or second adventure and just reap in the benefits of normal jobs.... perhaps a subtle social commentary?

A good way to fix that, if you're having this problem, is to vastly increase the stakes- make adventuring MUCH more profitable than regular jobs, give fairly large XP bonuses, and so on.... it'll make regular work seem less worthwhile, but just like the overpowered jobs, it will result in quickly reaching high levels.... see below for how to have a lower key game without the normal problems with jobs...

How many months (years?) of weekly gaming would it
take before mega-attributes become a concern?
I think we determined that people, on average, in standard jobs reach very high point levels (high 50's?) by the time they need to start aging checks... or even before, possibly. Adventuring for a little bit in your early years is basically just a way to tack on a few extra points from early levels. If you're power gaming, basically, it makes sense to do that... but those rules were clearly not thought out for very long campaigns, so I suggest the following adjustments....

I've looked through the Jobs
section... and have wondered how well it would incorporate into a campaign.
Whether players would be more inclined to dice-the-system and delay
adventuring.
Due to the problems mentioned by others, when seriously using jobs and aging (so its not a relatively short term campaign focused on a few years at most), I tend to make aging harsher by starting it earlier and adding unhelpful modifiers, while also making jobs work on a bimonthly or monthly basis... sometimes I even increase that, but if you go any farther you'll want to increase pay proportionally, or else money will start to become scarce. This means that even characters who get to high levels adventuring will basically never reach the point where it makes sense to retire if they want to get BETTER.... they can just kinda level out and die in another decade, living their last years in peace. But few players make it that far- if your campaign is hard enough, most people retire when theyre ahead or die, and if your campaign is lower intensity, XP tends to be rarer anyway.

And speaking of job income, TFT doesn't provide any guidelines
for starting wealth. I imagine that it's assumed that TFT PCs will work for a few weeks to get a little spending money before buckling swashes and heading
off for adventure?

Thats the way I do it, and I even let them just do this for as long as they wish (so you start at a young age, 18 or 20, and then get to work, gain XP, and possibly die til you stop... though you'll also hit aging after a point ).

K Peterson