Re: (TFT) Jobs table: 100,000 simulated soldiers and farmers

On Thursday, September 29, 2011, gem6868 wrote:

> Well, magic has no precedent in 'reality', and a GM can just dispose of it
in any of a dozen ways.

Well yes, but how it's disposed of is pretty important to explain unless
players have practically no access to magic and still I'd think the GM needs
to describe where magic comes from in their game-world.

I like the Doc Frankin-steen, steen analogy.

> Gondor was very poorly mobilized for war, and on top of that the numerous
different ways they were attacked by Sauron meant that few reinforcements
were able to reach them.

yes, poor mobilization was what let the force get to the doorstep but by
then I suspect they had woken up somewhat.

> Whatever was happening in Europe and the rest of the world in medieval
times, by the Renaissance Europe was pulling away and by the "Age of
Enlightenment" the process was escalating exponentially, so that by the
1700s tiny European forces were dominating massive Indian ones. This became
even more so in the 1800s, and by WWI and WWII era no country except Japan
was able to even attempt to take on a Western power.  And obviously, they
should've stuck to just fighting the Dutch.  :)

LOL "the Dutch"
Cidri is placed at Renaissance tech in the most civilized areas so to speak.
100 years is only 5 generations.

> Bottom line, TFT is a story.  You can make up any reason, and have it be a
good, historical reason that is very sound, why ANYTHING is the way that it
is, and you don't even necessarily have to explain it to the players.  After
all, unless they are followers of a powerful lord, they aren't going to know
any more about anything than any other peasant.

IMO RPG's make stories rather than tell them.
Matching dynamics to historical precedent is an attempt at fairness and
objectivity.
I also find it interesting and somewhat educational.
And part of what I'm doing is trying to make that "powerful lord" position
playable for a player.
Plus they have to keep up the lords paperwork which sluffs off some of my
book keeping duties.