Re: Change (was: (TFT) Jobs table: ...)

On Oct 2, 2011, at 12:43 AM, gem6868 wrote:

> like so many people, you're forgetting that Christian Roman Empire
> that didn't fall until almost 1500, Byzantium.  Which regarded
> itself as the Roman Empire, btw, and they should know.  Read more
> history.
> As for your "throwing ideas around"...they merely present popular
> prejudice. Solution - Read more history.
Sure the Christian Roman Empire lasted, but they weren't Catholic for
a large part of that (that is, they had a split with the Catholics for
a large part of that), and they weren't an Empire by 1500, and hadn't
gotten close to the power of Rome at its height (pre-Christian Rome).
They were also more Mediterranean than Western European, which is more
where modern society comes from... Hence, its irrelevant to whether or
not the Catholic Church was the cause of the unique 'uplifting' of
Western Civilization... I'm not sure why you bring it up.

Regardless of all of that, I'm just saying its fundamentally
ridiculous to say that the Church is the reason that we aren't
barbarians humping sheep when they coexisted with many non-sheep
humpers who were oftentimes humping less sheep than Europe was (The
Middle East, North Africa, and Spain), and when science and
civilization predates the church by many, many years. Add that to the
fact that there were several times when the Church acted very much
like barbarians humping sheep (The Inquisition, destroying and hiding
documents, all the times they tried to suppress discoveries so that
they wouldn't threaten the Church's stance as always being right).

Thats not to say that the Church is anti-science or unprogressive.
Overall their track record has actually been fairly proscience, in the
sense that they did try to preserve many things, many great scientists
have been educated by the Church, have been priests, and so on, and
that the Church has always come around (even if its taken them
centuries, in some cases.... looking at you, Earth going around the
Sun) to agreeing with the science.

Side note, I think its kinda ridiculous to say that the Church in
itself is pro-science because priests and monks have been great
scientists... smart people go where education is and then they use it.
The Church controlled education, so obviously the smart scientists
(educated and using it) are going to be members of the Church. Its
hardly an argument one way or the other, but I think it is a cool way
to notice the dichotomy of the Church on one hand being a 'source,'
or, better, facilitator of science, while on the other hand
suppressing it when felt the science was too contradictory to their
world view (and therefore their power).

Other side note, and particularly relevant to RPGing: It seems to me
that, in the general flow of things, the Church has been better
(scientifically and morally) when it has had LESS power. Today the
Church is totally proscience and also nice to minorities and all, but
at the height of their power, the Middle Ages, they did things like
the Inquisition (bit late for the Middle Ages, but point stands, as
they did similar things before that) and destroyed documents.
Actually, its almost more like as they started to lose power (due to
protestantism and such) they became more protective... the
Inquisition, Copernicus, Galileo, so on... perhaps this is generally
applicable to any group that uses their infallibility as the source of
power... they're willing to suppress truth and even get rather violent
to maintain that infallibility, that power. Maybe the Wizards Guild
works this way. Maybe the king of Freedonia is said to be God... so if
something he said earlier turns out wrong, or someone doesn't bow to
him, that can be the cause of a fight.

> But this is not a place to debate history.  You're trying to develop
> a fantasy world.  ANYTHING YOU DO IS FINE.  If you can rationalize
> it to the satisfaction of your players, who cares about all this
> history?  It's pretty much irrelevant, unless you are trying to
> present a world that is close to some period in history (probably
> the high middle ages).  Then it's nice to know things like people
> didn't use forks, ate out of trenchers they shared with others (and
> shared a mug or skin of wine / water / ale...yuck), the difficulties
> of procuring and using medieval weapons, finding food, or even
> finding the time to "adventure" (which is really just banditry, and
> makes all the players are target, essentially).  Basically, the more
> "real" you make it, the less fun it will be for the players, as life
> back then was EXTREMELY limited.  A magical fantasy world gives us
> the fun of exploration without the misery.  I believe Hobbes said it
> first, "life was nasty, brutish and short".  Who wants to game that?
Desperation can lead to adventure, but overall I agree. We tend to
base our fantasy worlds more off Tolkien, where society overall better
resembles Enlightenment or later, but with 'medieval' weapons (I
wouldn't even say a medieval aesthetic, as most fantasy worlds seem a
bit more like a mashup of late Renaissance with various other bits of
history and armors thrown in).

Though I agree debating history isn't fundamental to RPGing, I think
that understanding overall trends is important, because those trends
can be used in world developing. In other words, one can use the
history of the Church for an interesting campaign world, regardless of
whether or not the players share a mug of ale or have their own.