Re: (TFT) Daily Life...

note what I said was very specific: "YOU'D have no sense of morality whatsoever if it wasn't for "the church" and it's Judeo-Christian beliefs." If you're "from the West", that what your morale upbringing is descended from, unless you can prove you're an "original morale thinker". I personally don't think I've any original morale thinking either, I just struggle with application like everyone else.

If you'uns want to extol the virtues of somewhere else in the world, knock yourselves out. At least have grown up or resided there, however.

-----Original Message----- From: Joey Beutel
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 8:04 PM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Daily Life...

On Oct 3, 2011, at 7:21 PM, Mark Tapley wrote:

At 18:38 -0400 10/3/11, gem6868 wrote:
If I really wanted to get your sheep, I'd remind you that you'd  have no
sense of morality whatsoever if it wasn't for "the church" and it's
Judeo-Christian beliefs.

Hm. That depends on how you define "morality"; certainly if Judeo- Christian morality is the only one that qualifies, the statement is true (but tautological).

And what about just plain old "judeo-"? Not to mention morality being
present, based upon our knowledge of ancient societies, to one extent
or another morality has been with humans since before civilization at
all.
Feudal Japan had codes of behavior, to which the word "morality" could easily be applied. Harsh ones in some respects and not by any means the same as the Judeo-Christian ones, but serving many of the same functions.

Hindu India had codes of behavior, same notation. The Pacific islanders had tabus, same notation. Many American Indian tribes (not all) had codes of behavior, same notation.

Judeo-Christian morality has a lot to recommend it, and I am grateful for its legacy, but it's by no means impossible that we'd have something comparable without the Church.
Indeed, look at all the people who follow Abrahamic morality (I find
this term to be more proper, given that Judaism is also 'judeo
christian,' though not christian, and islam is, for most muslims,
basically the same ideas) that have never had anything to do with
catholicism.

--
- Mark     210-379-4635