Re: (TFT) Death Test 1, take 4: SURVIVED!

Quoting gem6868 <gem6868@verizon.net>:
Their defining limitation is that they are two-handed, leaving the bearer
without a means to parry effectively.

Every medieval master who wrote on this subject would disagree.
All you need to defeat them, in small
or large groups, is a large solid shield to take that first blow, and then
you're short sword guts the guy.  The Romans showed for a long time that the
ultimate combination of weapons is the large shield and short sword.

For their mass combats, it was pretty good. Not necessarily for individual combat. My personal opinion is that the Romans organized well, and that any plan was better than most of what they had to deal with. But then, it didn't help them in Teutoburger Wald. I think that just as much of the Roman success was due to their generals choosing ground where that style works, and the strategic objectives they had and stuck to.
If you throw heavily armored knights into the equation (with stirrups) then
the polearm is the primary means to fight him.  Or a longbow, or a big patch
of boggy ground, or an  armored wagon with crossbows (Hussites).  Or better
firearms. Once the knight is out, the polearm disappears.

Hardly. It was still in use, for example, by various police forces precisely because it was long, well into the age of the rapier. And still in use by Napoleonic NCOs.
Fighting
with a polearm in a room would be like watching the Stooges.

Yet I know guys who do it, and do it well. They aren't Stooges. One other point that separates reality from game rules is HTH. In particular, 15th century medieval wrestling is designed to not go to the ground (and basically for the same reason as in TFT -- that +4 DX). It's also designed to break bones and joints. But the idea that one simply must drop one's weapon in order to wrestle is not supported by the medieval masters. In particular, Fiore says two things about this. This first is that if you are close enough to touch with my hand, it is no longer a sword fight, it's a wrestling match. The second is that (for that time), if we are armoured, it is not a sword fight, it's a wrestling match. The majority of his writing on armoured combat is on how to wrestle while holding a two handed weapon, with the rest on how to wrestle with a one-handed weapon. He does assume that you learned how to wrestly without a weapon in his unarmoured section.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com