Re: (TFT) Howard Thompson versus Steve Jackson (and Pole Weapons)

I like the +1 die versus doubling suggestion too, which I think is also an ancient house rule (did it even make it into Interplay? I think maybe it did).

I don't like removing the first-strike, because I think it makes so much physical sense, though I think the charge situation wouldn't always apply, hence the suggestion I made.

--- hulkasgt@yahoo.com wrote:

In my own opinion, the only real change you need to make to Pole Weapons in Advanced Melee is to eliminate the rule that they always act first when involved in a charge. Per my experience, that brings everything back in balance, and brings Dex back to its important place in character builds.

That said, I do like David O. Miller's house rule about adding a set number of dice to a charge instead of doubling the dice. It gives those guys in plate mail at least a fighting chance to survive.