Re: (TFT) new player wants an attack worthy animal companion(wolf). what should i do with that?

Joel,
I use character handicaps and advantages in TFT games I run.
I have used them with my characters in other games depending on the
agreement of the game master.

I mainly based character handicaps on two articles from the Space Gamer:

Handicapped Characters in TFT - TSG #51, Forrest Johnson.
More Handicaps in TFT - TSG #57 - Ralph Sizer.

There is a percentile table for randomly generating handicaps here:

I do like to use Character Backgrounds for FRP - By Ronald Pehr.
This gives starting characters a bit more depth and some idea what they
did before adventuring, along with appropriate talent.
http://www.loran.karoo.net/tft/character_backgrounds.html

On occasion I have used the infamous 'Bogy Table' from an obscure rule
set called Fantasy Wargaming IIRC...
This could randomly deliver a number of advantages or a handicaps.
If you risked a roll on the bogie table you had to live with what you
got.
Lycanthropy was always popular!

It's nice to see my TFT Talent and Spell lists getting a bit of exercise
again.
:o)

Regards,

Chris