Re: (TFT) Streets of fire as the module a nice integration, but Archery/Missles/aimed shots

This seems just like you are learning about TFT's deadly combat.

So, you decided to use the rule where head shots are allowed, and to have archers with high DX. There were some good shots, people got hit in the head, it ended the pillowfight quickly. Yep, that's what happens.

As for the other "problem" that having one deadly marksman be slightly faster than another deadly marksman leads to the faster marksman tending to nail the other marksman first... um, yes. Welcome to the Wild West.

If you want to just pretend that you have deadly marksmen, but have them actually shooting nerf guns, use a TSR product like Boot Hill or D&D or something, where bullets do 1d4 or 1d6 and everyone had many "hit dice" so combat can be a grindfest.

Or, go watch some Spaghetti Westerns and see if your tastes in gritty deadly combat asjusts.

Or, get used to what makes a deadly TFT combat, and have games where the fighters aren't so deadly.

And/or don't use the optional aiming rules if you don't want people getting hit in the head.

* * *

On the other hand, I also think that it tends to underline a more general shortcoming in TFT - the limited options for protecting oneself. In GURPS for example, an accurate aimed shot to the head (or eye, or groin, or whatever...) isn't the end of the attack, as the target can at least try to dodge or block or something. In my own house rules, I also make dodging more likely when the target is smaller.

If I were to distill that to TFT's level of complexity, I might suggest reducing the aimed shot DX penalties by 3 but making them against 4 dice (which makes it a little harder to dominate them with DX) or combining with other house rules that involve active defenses.

PvK