Re: (TFT) Streets of fire as the module a nice integration, but Archery/Missles/aimed shots

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Joel BoardgameRpger wrote:

> Last nights game successful, using Streets of fire as a module integrated
> into
> my story line, but optional rules for aimed shots messed up the fight.

> So ive declared that aimed shots now will require Aiming a round.
> Yes, this will give the shooter a +1, but at least it saves an enemy a
> round
> and makes the combat a little tougher.
>
> Feed back?

What was the movie? I think it was Quigley Down Under.
Quigley had taken a buttah-whuppin and had been dragged out into the
badlands to be finished off (sanitary purposes?) where he takes out his
guards but the last one got on a horse and was bugging out while Quigley
had to get to his Sharps and load it as the guy put distance between them
at a full gallop.
I can see a shot like that taking 5 or more seconds to "aim" but no one's
gonna be shooting a bow anywhere close to 900+ yards in a realistic minded
campaign.
I'll have to see if I can time that scene in terms of seconds.
5 second turns are more like a typical short yardage (american) football
play and the turns are kind of grainy for single cause and effect
resolutions.
The original Melee map was 15 hexes across at its longest dimension as I
recall or 14 hexes in range with Figures in the center of two hexes at far
ends from each other or just a tad less than 20 yards apart in 1.3m hexes.
The longest shot I recall in Tollenkar's Lair is similar to the above from
the south wall of the lab to the north wall of Ranulf Redhand's room (have
to check that on the colour map).
TFT really seemes to be focused on dungeons and pretty cramped spaces as
opposed to large open areas that meet or exceed a missile weapons limits.
As its written when a Figure stacks modifiers like that they become awfully
potent.
I think this is mostly intentional in the games design.
It's hard to hang TFT turns on a Figure because they are soooooo looooong.