Re: (TFT) Aimed Shots - MPNS hobbits are slow...

Joel,

I would say the same thing as I did about your aimed shot elf arrows to the head question:

It sounds like you're just not very experienced with what exists in TFT and what their effects are, and you are used to thinking in terms of other games where combat is about power levels and whittle fests rather than cause and effect.

IMO it is COOL that a game actually has cause and effect, so that if there is a giant reptile man jumping on someone, they get shredded quickly with claws, and if someone takes arrows to the head, they stop fighting back, and if someone gets shredded by a bunch of knives, they fall quickly, and if it all happens at once, several people die at once.

Too many games have too high hit points, too low damage, predictable combat effects, no map, little or not tactics, impossibility of avoiding damage, etc.

What's missing here, it seems to me, is GM experience and wisdom. Are the players having fun when their character designs work really well and take out the enemies with lightning force? Ask them, but I'd say probably so, or if they're disappointed, I bet it's just that there aren't more people to kill. So... seems to me the players are the heroes and when they win heroically well, that's cool. Next chapter. The wise GM shares the fun of the players and likes when something unpredicted happens, and figures out what happens next. Congratulations! Your players are participating and forging their way in your world. Make room! Let them have great success for a while and even get more cool stuff because of it... and slowly think about who else in the world is going to take notice, and what the realistic (not excessive wrathful punishment by baby tantrum GM!) results there might be. If there is a powerful group accumulating wealth and power and causing damage and upsetting the balance, there will be a reaction of some sort. Be restrained, but have there be logical effects, and it can turn into a great experience for everyone.

PvK