      From: Meg Tapley <barnswallow@sbcglobal.net>
 To: tft@brainiac.com
 Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 4:28 PM
 Subject: Re: (TFT) Hanging Magic in TFT.

Replying mostly just to add paragraph breaks. Some of us (me) suffer
from acute apathy triggered by long walls of text. So, for
handicap-accessibility and all:

On 4/28/15 2:58 PM, Jay Carlisle wrote:
> When considering the athletic magic user in TFT I find it interesting tha
> in most instances the Figure is contemplated en tant qu'individu or as a
> single individual. Why wouldn't a Wizard be accompanied by a few
> apprentices with knowledge of the Aid spell in the manner of a Knight wit
> their retinue of squires and pages?
I've seen it happen, if someone can be suckered into playing a walking
ST battery, or if players get more than one character apiece.
> As to the deep magics capable of
> cracking stone tables this begs the question of sourcing magic to begin
> with IMHO such that the addition of hanging magic on nothing is given
> a raison d'etre that explains why this is possible when the more commonly
> accepted method is the creation of magical items which would seem to suff
er
> a value hit in the face of such advanced methods with the creation of suc
> items itself an advanced aspect of study that would loose some appeal for
> many magical methodologists mayhaps a minority making mercedary mercantil
ism
> the mantra of magical mastery mindful of mammon and modus decimandi
> as modus operandi.
Maybe the wizard himself becomes a "magic item", similar to a wand with
charges?
/
> Another approach to finding more balance might be the addition of fatigue
> costs for fighter types allowing athletic Actions along similar lines as
> spells. This method opens up a myriad of options for play that flow
> naturally from fST and in allowing fighter types feats of physical prowes
> that temp Players to expend fST to preform the Wizards main dynamic for
> effective Action becomes mirrored in the martial Hero's options. It's sti
ll
> the addition of new mechanics but without hanging the burden on magic if
> You take My meaning. Just spitballing by the by. Discussion fodder FWIW n
ot
> fault finding of anything put forward so far. Far be it from Me to berate
> the addition of mechanics after My own folly fully indulges in the same
> again and again.
Can't remember what battle this was, but I think the Spartans at one
point surprised their enemy by sprinting up a hill and then fighting at
the top of it, something they were only able to do because of their
intense training. Spending fatigue for combat actions seems like
something worth inventing a game mechanic to cover. Also, I've heard
that armor is less encumbering than fatiguing to wear, as well, though I
imagine this varies with the type of armor.
/
/
> I'm on a direct path to ending up tits
> up in a field with one ear and a sucking chest wound over this but not
> without referent for the methods to My madness. I've been avoiding making
> My philosophical apology for My occupation with a passtime in public
> perception but there is issues of very real import at play in this play a
nd
> the model of destructive action as the only path to advancement is purely
> unacceptable as a defining aspect of play to pass on to those who come
> after us. Better that gaming go the way of the dodo than continue with th
at
> model much less hobbled with aspects that are the strengths from other
> creative mediums cooperative play models poorly instead of featuring the
> strengths the table-top holds as the primary elements of focus.
...I note the consistent capitalization of "My". So You've achieved
apotheosis, then? *bows down*
> If D&D editions were in service of the Player community the ruleset would
 evidence
> a refinement of established concepts rejecting only what proved fatally
> flawed and in its core evidencing continuity and consistently less change
> instead of essentially a completely different game the same in name only
> which is evidence of a marketing ploy to sell a new set of product in an
> endless cycle (note 5th edition is double that or more in actual editions
> offered over the course of its 4 decades history)  that preys on the
> community with such pointless reworking of its foundations then
> regurgitating its add on material cloaked in new artwork and statistics
> rather than taking the more challenging path of perfecting its base syste
> and growing in the content it offers in supplement. Four decades of the
> same destructive focus evidencing no growth is a horrible misuse of the
> mediums potential and a moral affront to the soul of the hobby and the
> community of highly imaginative people drawn to its potential for
> imaginative expression but arrested in the development of the full
> flowering of that expression by the frozen innovation cloaked in the guis
> of the continual reworking of the destructive play concept that never
> ventures further in its depth or focus. As We near a half century of RPG
> history We deserve a concept that exhibits some growth and a grasp on the
> possibilities offered by constructive models added to play and some
> downside to the destruction that still fails to even require a cleanup of
> the corpses from all the killing.
Hear, hear. If we liked D&D, we'd be playing that popular and
well-supported game, rather than an obscure one long out of print.
/
> I can not believe I'm the only one capable of
> imagining far beyond such narrow confines. This cannot continue to stand.
> owe it to all I have invested of Myself in My chosen hobby I hold so dear
> to see it free to be more than this hobbled Harrison Bergeron harnessed w
ith
> the constraints of those that would hamper its fullness to control it in
> pursuit of profit for profits sake knowing that unfettered the dominate
> model repeating and repeating the same established cycle suddenly fails t
> encompass the whole and as the carefully crafted control is lost so goes
> the profit coupled to it and thus it falls to the likes of You and Me if
We
> are to ever see more from Our hobby that can be if freed to be. Screed
> fini. Pardon Me.
Thus endeth the reading of Jay's Holy Word.
...all right, now I'm going back to cleaning up my own paragraphs
(mumble mumble stupid English paper - procrastinating on that thing is
90% of why I'm spamming the list recently, I swear). Thank You for Your
divine wisdom, and also for the excuse to do something else for a while.