Re: (TFT) Hanging Magic in TFT.

Interesting points Mr B.
I hear Your issue with My take on the state of RPG gaming and note Your
particular bullseye tag with Your opening query as I've been writing and
not playing at all for... idk, call it a year and then some without trying
to nail it down with more accuracy. In essence I based what My unintended
diatribe dribbled fourth from My trickle of clulelessness method of writing
off a perusal of what was on offer in the form of D&D 5th ed. and a
skimming of what Amazon was showing as the top selling product and a number
of various postings in RPG interest group forms and the "dungeon crawl"
term kinda crept in as a catch all owing to long association and admitted
over generalization on My part in addressing the current trends I'm
certainly out of touch with in large part.
I did in My defense slip in a qualifying statement to the fact that the
form in and of itself is a valid one in terms of proven playability and
entertainment value (in the final analysis THE main goal of "game" as I'll
be the first to admit) and I've been struggling for sometime with a
philosophical statement trying to surmise My stuff in clear and
straightforward terms which is why much of My tirade spilled out I would
guess. I have been measured weighed and found foul in a fair cop I shan't
duck and I dressed Myself like this to boot. I'd fire Myself if I could but
the burning question is how when I'm the only one involved and no matter
where I go there I am even if I travel to the state capitol in Salem My lot
seems doomed to be Me. I suppose I'd best consult Sybil on such matters.
Mia culpa and My bag there.
As to the rest of Your remarks I fair MUCH better as You touch on My
overall sandbox approach which I specifically enlarge as a principal of
design terming the frame required as necessitating at the least an order of
scale more than the area given the Player in presentation to adequately
address an adventure concept in which Players actually possess freedom of
choice as opposed to the illusion of freewill that falls apart upon failing
to follow the tavern keep's rumor of riches to be found beneath the ruins
of the old keep north of town when instead they turn south. As You point
out there are a number of devices that can be used to restrain the full
blown exercise of Player freewill but in effect these still involve Player
cooperation without devolving into thorny issues and I have made a point of
making the implied contract involved in an offer to play quite explicit
especially in detailing such designed constraints in the offer to play as
even a Player finding their Figure enlisted in military service as a buck
private may choose to desert or similar courses in opposition to the
designed flow of play. Better to be specific with such contrivances upfront
rather than revealing the design at the table. I've also addressed GM
issues of "fairness" having come to the conclusion that the role of Game
Master both flies in the face of a strength of the form being its
cooperative creation through playin the elevation of a meta-Player who's
role assumes ideas like a plotline or story in the manner of a author or
similar artist working generally in solitude to produce a work to be
presented in its full form to an audience who experience the piece in a
passive manner. The other aspect I find is that the reason for the creation
of the GM role in the first place seems flawed in its purported purpose of
addressing the dreaded "rules lawyer" of legend. This appears to be
a blatant over reaction to questioning over what is obviously a disaster of
a objective ruleset in white-box D&D that reads more like mimeographed
notes in many of its semi-ordered sections that beg questioning owing to a
great deal of obscurity, so much so that objectively across much of the
country play was reduced to the very dungeon crawl focus that left out
aspects of play featuring mass combat, jousting, building and managing a
holding and more to focus on the most clearly illustrated feature with the
simplest mechanics the d20 roll to hit. I grant I may be over simplifying
somewhat here being no expert on the Wisconsin scene in full but I'm not
without some reference that has brought Me to this viewpoint as well as
coming into D&D through miniature wargaming in the mid '70's Myself and in
the end this is likely My placing too much importance on the reasoning
behind the decision as no matter what the purpose was behind it the
function plays against cooperative play instead of highlighting it. This
doesn't do away with much of the functions assumed under the the GM role of
course but the of the GM's trumping of all objective structure in favor of
their subjective "because I said so" is not only unnecessary but again
opposes the nature of table top play directly in elevating one Players
imaginative picture over all others instead of functioning to bring these
together in closer accord as tools like tessellated battle maps, relative
statistics (failing to define the base units however), and detailed
descriptions of spells, monsters, magical items and so on all function to
do. A properly designed adventure environment should consist of all the
components in play at the sessions start (potentially anyway allowing for
magical introduction of material not technically encompassed in the
environment physically at session start)  without vague undefined aspects
of number or location that leave the drawing upon of such unfixed force to
the whim of the GM if called upon in play. It's not a fair metric to leave
the town guard unnumbered or without routine describing the distribution of
the force in a town Player characters are active in and might come to odds
against with the GM simply plucking a number of guardsmen at whim from
their nether regions form an undefined pool that suffers no losses if the
Players successfully strike down the number spawned in sulfur tinged
emission of hot air announcing the questionable encounter, My sandbox
should exhibit the ability to function as well for solo play as it would in
moderated approach and while this remains to be seen in full practice I
believe I've come close enough to put it to the opinion of the greater
public to find where I may have failed. I would be surprised indeed to find
I had managed to fool Myself into thinking a complete failure was not but
such is not My overall judgement to make so My basic satisfaction will have
to do for now.
As to attaching additional systems to add avenues to play I'm flush in that
feature as well. A basic example of this is a dynamic campaign map that
uses proven concepts from building & management games applied to the
generally static presentation shown Players of the realms they adventure in
like so many differently same Middle Earths. Firstly such a view is not
afforded Players lacking scrying or similar methods or obtaining existing
maps which are valuable documents indeed not commonly available even well
after western printing as detailed information of new world explorations
were often held as state secrets and the procurement of such the source
of renaissance missions resembling precursors of 007 but that doesn't mean
Players cannot come to know the areas in which they operate and not simply
in the topography but in its traffic as well both existent and lacking be
that due to a lack of infrastructure required to facilitate profitable
transport to a unserviced destination or a hazard that harkins for hero's
to halt with the true riches o're time to be had not in the brigands strong
box of plunder by Players with a mercantile turn of mind. As Players are
the masters of what they control a wealthy merchant can easily forget their
personal shortcomings as personifications of martial prowess or mystic
force with the influence wealth brings. A private army of men at arms under
ones personal command and the influence of coinage can outstrip even the
most accomplished adherents of personally embodying power often employing
such figures as pawns toward their purposes. In this lies the simplest
examples of organization of the manpower at ones command that is at its
fullest fruition in the realms of the nobility's auspices who not only
dictate a good portion of the peoples purposes in ever increasing numbers
with increased rank up to the king or even emperor who's dictum's can
direct the whole of the population encompassed by the kingdom/empire and
here to lies the political intrigues and maneuverings that result in the
law that extends the scope of political control beyond the reach of what
the ability to create, disband, and reorganize the bulk of the formal
social organization played as a modified Illuminati while the legal system
and law are a modified form of Peter Struber's NOMIC with Players holding
voting power to play in this system vulnerable to intrigues that prevent or
influence their vote from assassinations, to kidnappings of self or family
member (a playable character itself allowing Borgia-like dynasty's to be
built and a resource to protect), or more subtle machinations involving
simple bribery to complex power grabs that can make the simple journey to
court an adventure in itself.
I place such a full blown age in a 4x game framework (usually Civilization
but not of necessity as it's the principals more than the particular title
that's of the greatest import although some titles specific quirks and
mechanics can tend to suit a particular age better than another if one has
the option open) that serves as a basic assistant in offering a somewhat
objective picture of the goings on in the rest of the world I later found
mirrored in a GURPS source book on Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri that had
found the same potential I had for managing what would otherwise be a
nightmare of bookkeeping and have further defined a principal of
abstractness in absence of Player Figure presence owing to a balancing
concept that give that Player Figures are disturbing observers, NPC's are
not being subsumed in uncertainty outside of the observable reach of any
Player. This allows a Civ city to serve in it's abstract listing of
developed assets sans a detailed mapping that only becomes required when
Player Figure presence forces such detail. Attempts to give playable cities
remaining in the abstract I have quite a few examples of fail to
acknowledge this feature of Player characters a kind of reverse of the
glowing red P stamped upon their foreheads quite a few GM's seem to have
missed as well generally indicating a make it up as one goes approach that
places no significant import on Player input or the answers elicited by
even simple Player query that can force on the fly detail that hadn't been
considered in design and this can prove to produce unexpected wrinkles in
play if attention is paid to consistency in reverence to Player input an
easily overlooked detail in the GM as storyteller conception that in its
worst expressions models the storylines of many videogames that involve a
period of button mashing that results in the triggering of a cut scene
event that then results in more button mashing to reach the next cut scene
and when a Player realizes that no matter how poorly or well the button
mashing is managed the cut scene remains the same it renders the gameplay
pointless in relation to the storyline enacted in the cinematics which at
least has the excuse of being rendered at the Player by digital playback
but when the similar situation occurs with dice rolls and plot points while
facing one another across the play table this is approaching insulting as
if they wanted to tell a story why make the Player ape all the die rolling
at all? The final encounter was unavoidable baring character death and
attempts at heroic deaths have shown that to often be a impossible task in
such "games" with a plot to tell. It's happened to Me... not the worst
interpretation of RPG's I've suffered through but frustrating to monkey
through once aware of the case.
In the final point of allowing imaginations and real-world research to have
a strong bearing on play I'm in step here as well. I use a 1 inch hex drawn
on quarter inch graph paper that has TFT's 1.3m Mele scale work out to
squares on the quarter inch graph that work out to just over a foot making
scaled architectural drawings frequently rendered on quad-graph @ 1 1/4" sq
skewed to whatever alignment best suits as the house is a relative frame of
reference in its area of enclosure. Most any object including shipping
dimensions can be similarly scaled out (if it fits it chits) in this
Minecraft-esque (I'z ahead of MC with this stuff actually usually its the
other way round) manner quickly and easily and further define statistics to
assist in including real world data so for example 5.5 foot pounds force is
representative of 1 point of ST which is equivalent to 1 point of damage
and when scaled up to the average ST 10 which is 55 foot pounds unmodified
force which is loosely equal to the expected work done over the course of
an hour in many tasks including a large number of agricultural measures
relating to harvesting produce and what's expected to be collected in a
hour by an average worker who is generally given a container to fill by
volume most often a bushel with bushel weights most commonly falling on 50
to 60 lbs depending on commodity with grasses, leafy greens, and pod shaped
or similar difficult to densely pack produce coming in at roughly some
common fraction per bushel measure allowing for fair to middlin back of the
envelope calculation of the overall work being accomplished by a population
as a whole or individual units thereof and adjustments for say extra hands
being brought to bear to bring in as much of the harvest as possible before
an impending deadline or similar situations that can be answered with a
more objective view than possible with an abstract population more window
dressing than functioning aspect of the game and after man hours of work We
can bump up the scale further to 550 ft lbf/s as 1 horsepower or 100pts ST
which relates ST and man hours to engines and its able to translate into
various other units of power, energy, etc. like Watts at about 1.3 per ft
lb or what have You depending on what's being considered. Defining the base
statistical unit in these terms also allows Me or any other Player using
common reference material to take figures like the stress allowances
assigned common building materials I give as passive or pST which relates
directly to ST as a expression of damage in point to point correspondence
with a point of ST expended as point of damaging force is just matched by a
point of pST resistance with the force diffused by the material which is
structurally breached in so doing at least in that particular location
depending on the nature of the material and any modifications a group might
add if particularly interested in architectural details or etc. etc. etc.
the idea being to provide more detailed descriptions of generally undefined
terms in RPG's that work against that shared imaginative picture that
matches in the particulars as much as possible point to the function of
most game components and base concepts but also gets from definition to
objective reference resources with as few gamesrules as possible between
the two.
I've babbled too long with this and it's late but it's really interesting
how many key points You touched on and again always welcome to take the
check when I'm falling out of line in My views. As You point out a poor
play experience is the real fail as entertainment is the thing. I am fairly
sure there are more ways than one to still meet that goal and not all those
the function of the objective gameplay. It's a really tricky consideration
that's not so cut and dry as I'd like to make it but too much wishy washy
is only worth so much time before putting it aside and making what progress
is more sharply plotted before returning again to such murkier musings.
Perfection is the enemy of finished and production is a wholly new kettle
of fish to consider and I manage to get zapped by a zorched fusebox 110 on
the only bar that let Me time the grid peek and down schedule by light bulb
bright or dim turns. Rots of fun that one but better done right than rushed
a tension with finished that can be useful if a bit stressful in trade. Oy
2 am and too old for no sleep Throwing html up still don't happen without
hiccup for Me and no sleep just zombifies Me the next morning.... blah.
Keep drifting off... somethings niggling at Me but I can't figure it. Errrr
anyhoo adieu

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Joseph Beutel <mejobo@comcast.net> wrote:

> "I can not believe I'm the only one capable of
> imagining far beyond such narrow confines."
>
> What have you been playing?
>
> I know that I haven't been in a "dungeon" in any of my games in years.
> To be completely honest most games I'm in right now feel like they're
> trying a little too hard to imagine beyond the 'narrow confines' of older
> games. Certainly I enjoy these campaigns, but to a certain degree I miss
> the relatively sand-box (essentially impossible to railroad) style of GMi
ng
> which seems to be a bit dead right now.
>
> But how is that related to the dungeon crawl? By the fact that a GM can't
> (or at least in my opinion, shouldn't) 'cheat' to railroad. The lowest
> scale (i.e. requiring the least work/time to be put into its construction
> and also use)  RPG sandbox I can think of is a dungeon crawl or similar.
In