Re: (TFT) Spear vs. Shortsword maneuvers

In Advanced Melee anyway, if two figures start out not adjacent, or if they start adjacent but one figure moves away and back (even only one hex) then it is a Charge Attack situation.

Advanced Melee also specifically says that a pole-weapon user engaged from behind, if he hasn't moved yet that turn, can just change facing and get the +2DX double damage charge defense. Best sword can do is not charge himself, so spear doesn't get the +2DX. See Advanced Melee page 14, right column.

So in Advanced Melee, there's no way to maneuver around a charge situation even by winning initiative twice in a row in a one-on-one duel. In Advanced Melee, it'll be a charge 100% of the time.

It's not quite as explicit in plain Melee, but it seems to me this is likely SJ's original intent there, too.

--- jlv61560@yahoo.com wrote:

I don't think a spear gets a charge if he's actually engaged.  He'd ha
ve to disengage first and get some distance.