Re: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V4 #463

There is a discussion in ITLabout different KINDS of intelligence.  In
 other words, it's not all on the same continuum.  Animals with an int
elligence of 7 differ greatly from intelligent beings with an IQ of 7.�� See page 9 of ITL.

      From: David Bofinger <bofinger.david@gmail.com>
 To: tft@brainiac.com
Cc: tft-digest@brainiac.com
 Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 5:23 PM
 Subject: (TFT) Re: TFT Digest V4 #463

> IQ
> 0 > 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 9 > 10
TL;DR but I picked this up skimming. My first instinct is that it's got to
be wrong. By these definitions a fighter who owned a pet monkey might be
well advised to let it handle the thinking.

IQ 7 lets you buy weapon skills. I don't know if anyone's taught a monkey
to fence, but I would guess someone in a circus has tried so probably they
failed.

Great apes will occasionally use clubs but that doesn't require a talent.

Some apes have been taught e.g. sign language but that has no IQ threshold
unless you call it literacy in which case it's IQ 8.

Maybe chimps are IQ 4 to 6? That leaves prootwaddles slightly smarter than
most chimps which seems right.

Birds vary a lot. Some birds, mostly corvids and parrots, are really quite
smart, probably maxing out at IQ 5 or 6. On the other hand ratites tend to
be idiots.

Dolphins aren't as smart as popularly imagined.

Working at the trailing edge of intellect reminds me of when I wrote up IQ
7 spells for prootwaddle wizards. Magic Rock!

--
David