Re: (TFT) Pitching game to newbies

Improv and Roleplaying Games - Greg Costikyan

Tabletop roleplaying games began as an outgrowth of military miniature
wargaming, and the earliest RPGs, like Dungeons & Dragons were typic-
ally played as a sort of boardgame without the board, with careful calcu-
lations and dierolls determining outcomes and players working primar-
ily to maximize their experience point gain. As they moved to digital me-
dia, RPGs continued more or less along the same path, since computers
are good at performing careful calculations and generating random
numbers.
In the world of tabletop and live action roleplaying, however, the
trend has been in a different direction. In a roleplaying game, by nature,
each player controls a single character, and even though the rules of
early RPGs did not reward or provide systems to support actual role-
play, that is, improvisational acting in character, the mere fact of having
individual characters, and their existence within an imaginary world,
encouraged players to explore the improvisational aspects of the milieu.
Over time, a number of independent movements have arisen among
roleplaying gamers and designers to push roleplaying games more in the
direction of theater; and indeed, in some cases the sorts of games these
movements create are hard to distinguish from “acting games,�� the im-
provisational exercises some acting schools use to develop actors’
skills.
One such movement is the indie RPG movement, whose enthusiasts
often participate in the forums at The Forge (http://www.indie-rp-
gs.com/). In principle, any tabletop roleplaying game that is self-pub-
lished or distributed in ways other than the conventional hobby market
is considered “indie,” but the practitioners of these games
 generally
move in a “narrativist” directon. The term “narrati
vist” derives from
Ron Edwards’s “gamist-narrativist-simulationist theory�� (GNS theory),
which characterizes roleplaying games by their tendencies along each of
these three dimensions. Edwards is himself the designer of one of the
best known indie RPGs, Sorceror, a game in which each player is literally
demon-haunted and may perform powerful magic – but only at the ex-
pense of losing an element of his or her humanity.
The focus of narrativist RPGs is on story-telling rather than improvisa-
tion per se; but their systems are often quite different from those of con-
ventional tabletop RPGs. In a conventional RPG, game systems are
primarily concerned with determining the success or failure of specific
actions taken by the player characters. In a narrativist RPG, quite often
the game system is used to determine whether a scene or confrontation is
194“successful” or not from a player’s perspective,
 but with players having
great freedom to narrate the events of the scene, without additional die
rolls or the like to determine whether or not specific actions succeed.
E.g., in a conventional game, the outcome of a fight would involve many
dierolls to determine whether a character hits and then how much dam-
age he does; in a narrativist game, a dieroll might be used to determine
whether a characters wins or loses the fight, with the players then de-
scribing how this happens freely.
Narrativist RPG designers are primarily interested in shaping the arc
of a story, rather than in improvisation and roleplaying; but this inher-
ently produces improvisation and roleplaying by the players.
Story games (see http://www.story-games.com/forums/) are subtly
different from indie RPGs. A story game is a framework for shared story
creation; quite often story games entirely dispense with the idea of a
“gamemaster” entirely, instead providing a set of rules for
 determining
who “controls” the narrative at any given time. The rules t
end to tend to
be more robust than those of “acting games;” indeed, the ru
les of acting
games are rarely described as “rules,” but instead in terms
 of instruc-
tions from a director or teacher. Because story game creators emerged
from the tabletop tradition, they think in terms of using rules to shape an
experience, and of modifying those rules over time to improve the out-
come. Perhaps the main difference from “acting games,” howe
ver, is that
players roleplay and improvise while sitting around a table rather than
while standing and moving as their characters would; story games still
transpire in the imagination, not on a stage, and the characters played
may look nothing like the players who take their roles. The improvisa-
tion, in other words, is primarily verbal, not in terms of action and
stance.
Live action roleplaying games (LARPs), by contrast, make a virtue of
physical performance as well as character improvisation. There are,
however, many different kinds of LARP. One common form is the
“bopper LARP,” a game, generally in a fantasy setting, in w
hich physical
combat, often with padded weapons, is the main focus of the game. Even
in such games, however, costuming and adopting a persona, remaining
in character, are considered important.
At the opposite end of the spectrum is the Dogma 99 larp
(http://fate.laiv.org/dogme99/en/index.htm) , a larp designed in ac-
cordance with a manifesto promulgated in 1999 by a group of Scand-
inavian larpers. (In the Scandinavian larp community, “larp�� is con-
sidered a word in itself rather than an acronym, and is rendered in all
195lower case letters). One of the rules of the manifesto is that “
there
are no
rules,” which seems paradoxical, but by which they mean that such l
arps
are not to have any game-y systems to handle things such as combat; all
action must be live and real, and the larp should be structured to avoid
situations, such as combat, that cannot be readily handled in a pure role-
playing context. Another rule is that all players must remain in character
for the duration of the larp, except in specifically designated “co
ol
down” areas, and that suspension of disbelief must be sustained to
the
highest degree possible.
An equally interesting larp type is the “jeepform,” a style
 pioneered by
the Swedish group Vi åker jeep (http://jeepen.org/). A jeepform is in-
tended for play by a handful of players in a short period of time, along
with one or more gamemasters, who often have roles to play within the
jeepform itself. Jeepforms are shaped toward the creation of story rather
than ‘roleplaying for show,’ and are often designed so that
 characters
emerge over time through play – and often so that the player of a c
harac-
ter has only partial input into the nature of his or her character, with
both the gamemasters and the other players able to establish things
about the character. As a result, they tend to foster wild and rapid im-
provisational roleplay.
LARPs are sometimes highly structured, with characters designed in
advance and with the game operators shaping a pre-determined story
arc; others are far more freeform (and indeed, the
“freeform” is a kind of LARP, characterized by a minimal ru
les set and
no predetermined outcome). Even in the most structured LARP,
however, all conversations are improvised by the players; and in less
constrained LARPs, the experiences of the players are highly improvised
as well, within the context of a pre-established setting and tone.
The nature of digital games, with their predesigned art assets and pre-
coded capabilities, make anything beyond the merest conversational im-
provisation impossible (and that only in online games). The nature of
boardgames, with their tradition of formal and complete rules, also mit-
igate against improvisational play. But in roleplaying games, particularly
in their more experimental forms, the techniques of improv have been
enthusiastically adopted and extended to create games that are artistic-
ally exciting mergers between theater and “the game.”

Greg Costikyan
Greg Costikyan has designed more than 30 commercially published
board, roleplaying, computer, online, social, and mobile games, includ-
ing five Origins Awards winners (ludography at www.costik.com/ludo-
graf.html); is an inductee into the Adventure Gaming Hall of Fame; and
the recipient of the Maverick Award for his tireless promotion of inde-
pendent games. At present he is a Senior Designer at Playdom, a social
game developer, and also runs Play This Thing!, a review site for indie
games. He is also the author of four published science fiction novels.
URLS: www.costik.com - personal website
playthisthing.com - a review each day of an indie game