Re: [ Pre Game Discussions ] Re: (TFT) Fine Armor in TFT has been added to the site.

Rick, looking at the fine armour rules and wondering if these
consequences are intended.

> Stops one extra hit (heavy armor)
> [Cost] x 5
> Threshold and No Negatives Numbers go up by 2.

Increases to the threshold (and hence no negatives) number is a bad
thing. So in some ways fine armour is worse than regular armour. Which
is odd. But it sort of makes sense because normally increasing the
protection by one is worth +4 to threshold & no negative. So you can
think of this as armour of the next grade up, with its threshold and
no negatives numbers decreased by two. But it's a little
counterintuitive.

It also means there are multiple ways to get to a desired armour
performance, at least if the armour is to be used in a fully
penalty-neutralised state so that hits stopped and no negatives are
all that matters.

---

Route I: I take leather armour (stops 2, STT 13, STNN 15, cost $100)
and upgrade using

> Stops one extra hit (Leather & B. Leather)
> x 12
> Threshold and No Negatives Numbers go up by 2.

I get (stops 3, STT 15, STTN 17, cost $1200).

---

Route II: I take boiled leather armour (stops 3, STT 15, STNN 19, cost
$175) and reduce its DX modifier by two using:

> Two less DX negatives
> x 2
> Decrease No Negatives # by 2.

I get (stops 3, STT 15, STTN 17, cost $350).

---

Route III: I take boiled leather (stops 3, STT 15, STNN 19, cost $175)
and reduce its MA modifier by two using:

> Two less MA negatives
> x 10
> Decrease No Negatives # by 2.

I get (stops 3, STT 15, STTN 17, cost $1750).

---

Route IV: I take boiled leather (stops 3, STT 15, STNN 19, cost $175)
and reduce its MA modifier by one using:

> One less MA negative
> x 3
> Decrease No Negatives # by 1.

and its DX modifier by one using:

> One less DX negative
> x 1.4
> Decrease No Negatives # by 1.

I get (stops 3, STT 15, STTN 17, cost $735).

---

The armours will be different for ST < 17. But not enough, I suspect,
to make the expensive options good.

It's fairly clear Route II is the best here. But some players might not find it.

You've made MA modifiers harder to get rid of than DX modifiers but in
practice they have a similar effect if the armour's negatives are
completely neutralised. So there are several ways to get to the
destination, and DX reduction is cheaper than MA penalty reduction.
I'm not sure that's what you wanted.

Your rules make explicit reference to cloth, leather &c but not to the
various chain armours.

Interestingly some armours can have their negatives completely removed
at modest cost, so that their threshold number becomes irrelevant. For
instance take elven chain (stops 2-, STT 10, STTN 11, cost $175),
reduce the DX penalties by 2 to get (stops 2-, STT "12" (makes no
sense), STTN 11, cost $350). There are some low strength characters
would love to get their hands on that, starting with mine. (The next
step a character would like to try is upgrading the stops number, but
I assume that would use the cloth multiplier and so be prohibitively
expensive.) This is counterintuitive maybe but it doesn't break
anything that I see.

Another possibility for the party thief: start with boiled leather,
eliminate all three DX modifiers, tolerate the MA modifiers (they
aren't a deal breaker for a thief, at least they aren't professionally
crippling, the way the DX ones are). Result (stops 3, MA -2, STT 15,
STNN 16, costs $1050. I guess I need to steal something. Hey, look
over there.

You can make some weird kit with this system.

--
David