From: Peter von Kleinsmid <pvk@oz.net>
To: "tft@brainiac.com" <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:21 PM
Subject: Dark City Games etc

At 09:02 AM 9/28/2016, Jeffrey Vandine wrote:
>Wouldn't we all?  Of course, you can check out Dark City Games and
>Heroes and Other Worlds for a more modern take on the old
>system.  Frankly, I think DCG is pretty close to the way Steve
>Jackson himself might have re-worked the skills set in a
>hypothetical re-write of TFT.

I recently took the effort to study those rules and give them a run.
I think they are basically pretty good, but are sorely lacking in
detail. So they're good enough for people who don't know or don't
care what's missing or weakly defined. And for people who do know
what's missing (like experienced TFT players), those players can add
house rules (and/or TFT rules) to fill in the gaps. That is, I'd
rather have a decent core system with many missing details to fill
in, than a system with details done poorly.

I do like the DCG system for learning and improving skills better
than the ITL system in some ways, though like the entire DCG system,
it wants some embellishment and details (or a GM who want to use GM
discretion all the time for all the missing details, or players who
don't notice or don't care about the missing details).

The DCG programmed adventures are many and those I tried seem well
done, though... again with the exception of being a bit lazy on the
details (e.g. re-use the same maps for everything with little or no
terrain specified or different for each room - room says there is
furniture but no map for it, etc.).

>If I ever become a billionaire, I fully intend to buy the rights to
>TFT and then commission Steve Jackson to do an update and rewrite...

Excellent!