Re: Dark City Games etc

No, according to an editorial written by Steve Jackson in the second or third issue that he produced of the Space Gamer, he tried to buy TFT back from HT, but HT was talking 6 figures for the rights and Steve told him no way.  He had already paid for Ogre by then -- at least according to the comments SJ made at the time.  Given that HT was expecting to cash in big-time on TFT (remember, it was early days still), I am completely sure he wouldn't have offered such a deal -- anything Steve wanted, he was going to have to pay cash on the barrelhead for.

From: Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 5:05 AM
Subject: Re: Dark City Games etc

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 00:02:18 -0400
"David O. Miller" <davidomiller@verizon.net> wrote:

> As for OGRE I know what SJ did with it. That was definitely a vanity project. And I'm pretty sure he lost money on it.

As I recall (and I'm too undercaffeinated to hunt in the archives), when
SJ separated from Metagaming, the terms allowed him to take either TFT or
Ogre/GEV.

I'm not so sure that he lost money on Ogre; the kickstarter was wildly popular
and got them almost a million dollars.  They kept adding content because
they kept getting the backing.