[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Hexagon pattern dungeons
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Hexagon pattern dungeons
- From: David Bofinger <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 09:43:19 +1000
- Authentication-results: mail.brainiac.com; dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=gmail.com firstname.lastname@example.org header.b="PBInCttI"
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=MzmM6zkqh1QJbmbT43cjtXHTqFdQCoBwzxTvLbDSCgw=; b=PBInCttIMsfXUskxtt2ChuT1eazWSE/LRe9wDHe49UH3amAZ8A7kDspM5IGySKyP6q WO+/teUiINQYlUnbdajgFbIo7D2/Rsx4o2l/pl+amlEy6Dx5OigrPo9W/oxXcGQdycg6 Ts7rH08NXwwCgjI+nJifynz1voQ5lDUWk136agYOYveRkbVvbzFvJx6OjsAmmm+Bp9De 67RXJVUQbF0qNCOhJtGGt/bE6x9whTsl94WU/ccdKvJWlmTgTLEX1KWuIiWNww58ci3/ Gz09r6GpiCT51zuyQb236sl2fUbe1rQB5YLAPGOpQXHBxMmdZ1W0FIEXaeX/9rmxnI41 HILQ==
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
I guess that leads to similar effects. The distance between two adjacent megahexes is sqrt(7) = 2.65 times the distance between adjacent hexes. The average distance between two adjacent megasquares is 3 times the distance between adjacent squares. Not too different.
I'd be tempted to say that diagonal moves cost 1.5 but maybe that isn't essential.
A diagonally adjacent character is quite a lot further away than an orthogonally adjacent one.
How did you handle facing? Maybe three front squares, a square where you can attack with a one-handed weapon but not use a shield, a square where you can use a shield but not a weapon, two side hexes and a rear hex?
I think hexes are better than squares in natural environments, but squares are better in artificial ones.