Re: [Slope: Ch 12] New Type of Healing Spell & Death Magic.

It's clear from the SJ TFT forum discussions that there's a variety of opinions on wounds, healing, and what's fun/interesting/desired or not.

I have much the opposite of the tastes you expressed below, i.e., to me:

* The SJ healing spell _is_ dull, but also is somewhat annoyingly complicated in its implications, which is that it does add a very powerful effect if you rest as much as possible, have people help with the aid spell, and so on. In that way it becomes about 35 points of healing per person with the aid spell per day, but only if they are able to rest all day, and if it matters, you'd want to track all their castings of healing and Aid spells, and make sure the healing wizard and the patients and resting Aid supporters are all in the same place at the most efficient intervals to do so. Since some people will miss some casting rolls, and some people may be heroes working with a -4 non-wizard DX penalty, it may also make sense for some people with Aid to Aid their Aid to be more efficient. That fiddly mess is suddenly determining exactly how fast people can heal, to a very great degree. If you didn't want the game to be about the healing process, this is not providing that unless the GM ignores the details of how that all would play out and hand-waves it somehow.

* I don't think delays to heal are boring.

* Wounds are fun, to me.

* Absence of any lasting wounds is annoying, dull, and un-fun, to me.

* Yes, if wounds don't matter then battles can be made harder and nastier without the possibility anyone in the party witll be crippled. But I don't see that as a good thing, particularly because it means all battles become "we killed them, and suffered no consequences" or "we died". And play tends to then escalate, until people die. I see that as removing interesting elements of play, not an improvement.

* GMs who have outdoor adventures with long delays between battles are NOT necessarily "doing this already". There's a whole level of interesting play possible which is about outdoor maneuvers and doing what's needed to get wounded people the chance to heal, avoiding or dealing with threats and situations that develop, what the opponents and others in the world doing that time, etc.

* Having a major factor of an adventure's success be not about actually handling dangerous situations in ways that don't get you killed or seriously wounded, but about getting wounded and then using super-powered magic to have any wounds not be a real concern, undermines my experience of an adventure game. It's unlike the situation I want to be experiencing through gaming, because it removes the possibility and consequences of major lasting injuries, which is something I want to be a factor.

PvK