Re: "Steve Jackson's greatest mistakes",

Good point, Jeffrey.

As I recall, the effective range of Napoleonic-era muskets -- far more advanced weapons than the arquebus -- was only 100 yards: remarkable when you consider that a thousand men standing in line might not hit a single thing even at that distance.

I remember seeing a reproduction of an instruction manual -- in Barbara Tuckmen's "A Distant Mirror"? -- that "proved" an arquebusier would always be skewered by a mounted lancer one-on-one, since the shot, to have any chance of hitting, had to be taken closer than 10 feet or so.

Obviously, this was farcical, or at least highly implausable. But that anyone would bother to make such an argument shows how little confidence contemporaries placed in firearms of the High Middle Ages and early Renaissance.

Cheers!

- Jack