Re: [Slope: Ch 12] New Type of Healing Spell & Death Magic.

Different strokes for different folks.

But why is it so unacceptable to allow a healing spell to be created for the game by the designer (which, given SJ's reputation for carefully thinking his way through things, will be well-balanced in the context of the rest of the game) and then, if you feel so strongly about denying it to your players, simply saying that the spell doesn't exist in your world?  You can have it your way, and other people can have it theirs.  Rather than "policing" how other people play, why can't we just say; "Okay, no big deal, it doesn't work that way in my world because mana can't interact with living tissue in a non-confrontational way -- it can blow you up, but it can't put the pieces back together again."

As the GM, you can make your world any way you want, but why try to enforce YOUR rules on anyone else?

From: "raito@raito.com" <raito@raito.com>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Slope: Ch 12] New Type of Healing Spell & Death Magic.

This is where we differ.

As I've said for years, if not decades, combat in TFT is deadly. It is not
D&D where combat is nearly trivial, as is death (in most campaigns). This
gives it a different flavor. So in the planning of an escapade, you need
to take that into account. If you don't, you fail. If the dice go against
you, you fail. If the results of combat can spoil your plans, then you
need plans with little combat.

Healing is hard and expensive (except the trivial sort provided by
Physickers). Resurrection nearly impossible. At least, that's how I prefer
it for my campaign.

I've had parties work very hard to be able to manufacture Healing so they
wouldn't have to heal up naturally. Only to find that once they'd done
that, it was much more profitable to do that and stay home rather than go
off adventuring. And because they were successful, adventures tended to
come to their door -- they didn't have to go looking.

Then again, I'm the type of GM who gives the rest of the world the same
advantages as the party. So being able to heal yourself instantly (or
near-instantly) doesn't give the party any advantage. Because the rest of
the world can do it, too. That's why one issue I don't get worked up over
is balance between the world and the party (between elements of the system
is a different matter).

Much more Nehwon than Middle-Earth.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com