[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Pole Weaps versus Cav Charge
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Pole Weaps versus Cav Charge
- From: David Bofinger <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 16:13:42 +1000
- Authentication-results: mail.brainiac.com; dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=gmail.com email@example.com header.b="m0WbZswR"
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=po96xa8303LHsdrAyyhqhh/i27WcBQVGaaHcy7odCs4=; b=m0WbZswRuJwkVEfkpXgtnOzenajT73FI3IsuRMuKw63uzta7B7X9QHCDa51nF+W+9T cRJ/+bhiQl7S/nPy0YLwIatXvWhKQDdgnm8daHBZK/o8Mz++YV34KzEAie2Bk5Vh97g7 3iM/j8zm8YDWXB1qq3wGom0tSI5pPupTr9Qs1CQpbcr14Qj0aVyZhwqZn1uiVjfxpDdA g6wG6K06NQf1ZNEG1PLqL0JjkCgWC+ujoVzQvMu4klHaDBaTTAse5BsMLvpOBvg+D4lI aalSv990kTOhnWMJdOT3fllLKjzzgInyzNf3GWVHqoIQM3ZZUTYkjcfikMShuX7e41gC +8cQ==
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com>
Russo-Polish War would have been a good chance.
Horses will not charge through solid barriers. Decent infantry from the dawn of organised warfare to mid-C19 pack together tight enough to look like a solid hedge, even without shields. But if there's a gap in the wall every horse in the charge will think, "Oh, it's OK, I'll go through there," and by the time they realise they aren't going to all fit it's too late to stop and the horses end up crashing into the line anyway. So discipline is even more essential for infantry versus cavalry than for infantry versus infantry.
Cavalry also pack at maximum density. The French said if you threw a plum at a charge one of the lances should skewer it. So movies where an agile warrior jumps around between the charging horses and grabs one from the side really don't work. On the other hand cavalry on cavalry charges can be even stupider than cavalry on infantry. The horses end up face to face, slow down and stop, and the riders can hardly reach each other.