Re: Pole Weaps versus Cav Charge

Russo-Polish War would have been a good chance.

Horses will not charge through solid barriers. Decent infantry from the dawn of organised warfare to mid-C19 pack together tight enough to look like a solid hedge, even without shields. But if there's a gap in the wall every horse in the charge will think, "Oh, it's OK, I'll go through there," and by the time they realise they aren't going to all fit it's too late to stop and the horses end up crashing into the line anyway. So discipline is even more essential for infantry versus cavalry than for infantry versus infantry.

Cavalry also pack at maximum density. The French said if you threw a plum at a charge one of the lances should skewer it. So movies where an agile warrior jumps around between the charging horses and grabs one from the side really don't work. On the other hand cavalry on cavalry charges can be even stupider than cavalry on infantry. The horses end up face to face, slow down and stop, and the riders can hardly reach each other.

--
David