[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Pole Weaps versus Cav Charge
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Pole Weaps versus Cav Charge
- From: Jim Kundert <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 16:18:59 -0700
- Authentication-results: mail.brainiac.com; dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=gmail.com email@example.com header.b="oYOrrw8U"
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=HNlOhRHozTmYJaQ3Vb+qW2cMtPCrJm6JyGcWnPAguhU=; b=oYOrrw8UO4EaGPxcNM73etVurTesnHY79uXQ/hcUUxgPPkNrY34cOlmAu1yPj3+5e4 brkufAPiEYfbvTK9JL73ybKR74QyTgkp+eCs2zmd7DbH0/arHMOxCgEPDAJLnZ2mQ2+/ V8SqYJlHvw6jcZQf/WwdqV2v9JO2wAzYuNUWdOO7YfW3PET3gczDXApjpI9hK63dtwVx +l74DZpGynOMPTf7n4m3RVl4ZgC5z4oUXlDh3apF7Vm0DchtdVp51592WBgc7KHqXGNJ bKk8BC568YkaLfgsnM325o0JeQNAA6GAe2SFWKr0IX5oUPFJBd0aW73FUNfvmB5q3Rvw UYXg==
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com>
Discipline and training being equal, reach becomes a deciding factor.
The movie version of Helms Deep also involved breaking the discipline of the orcs with the dual beacons of the Sun and a really annoyed Wizard.
So I wonder if anyone in the 1920s or 1930s caught on movie
film the moment of impact between a genuine cav charge and
pole weapons? (Maybe during The River War, or the breakup of the
Austo-Hungarian Empire or a Russian invasion of Turkey?) What
really happens? I wouldn't trust written accounts from the
cavalry era(s) --- due to viewpoint problems. (Herald: "Then our
stalwart yeomanry did withstand the enemy charge!" [real world:
60% casualties among the pikemen, go get more yeoman before your
My most vivid "memories" of it are... TLOTR: Peter Jackson has
the Rohirrim pretty much pancake the poor orcs twice: Helm's Deep
and Minis Tirith. OTOH, the USMC claimed into the 1910's at least
(had an elderly relative) that they were stoic enough to stop a
cav charge just with mounted bayonets and discipline. Seems like
good fiction or poor memories are all we have to go on. Someone
here know of some original source material?