Re: Rick's Magic items for Horses (and other riding animals).

Hi Thomas,
  My comments are interleaved below.

> On 2019Apr 1,, at 19:47, Thomas Fulmer <tfulmer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Rick,
>
> You note that human magic items can be made for horses, which makes me
> think the magic is essentially universal and it is the form factor
> that matters.

I’m not totally sure what you are saying here.  I’ve always assumed that if you
pay for the larger size, you could make a stone flesh ring for a giant or a horse.

> While I don't foresee most adventures (Perhaps Argunt except) to want
> to carry around a saddle bag in place of a backpack, some of these
> other items may be different.
>
> For example, take the feedbag. Horses eat about 20 pounds of food in a
> day. So let's say that this bag can hold about 20 pounds of food over
> the course of its 5 feedings. Does anything prevent an enterprising
> investor from selling  1/2 lbs corn meals to 40 people at $5 each and
> making $80 per day? The economics of this don't matter much with
> horses who can't pay, but it might be a rather cheap as healing magic
> goes.

The feed bag does not produce food, it simply removes pathogens.  Nor, does the
feed bag cure you if you are sick, it just helps you from picking up a disease.

> At that rate, this very high priced feed bag pays for itself in under a month.
>
> The blanket of warmth, on the other hand, seems expensive compared to
> relatively common heating stones, although it covers a larger area I
> suppose.

It could likely be cheaper.  But magic items can’t get too cheap or it is not worth
a week in a lab.

Many thanks!