(TFT) Introduction

Some of you probably already know me, at least electronically, as the
instigator of another similar mailing list, one devoted to microgames in
general. (There's an obsolete website that goes with it, but I'm working on
it. Joe's going to be hosting it for me "here" on brainiac.com.) TFT was my
second RPG, after Traveller, played during high school 17 years ago. As
roleplaying went, it was pretty low-brow hack'n'slash stuff, but fun. I've
discovered that I'm at least as much a wargamer as roleplayer, which is why
RPGs with tactical combat systems appealed to me (TFT, Hero, GURPS). I've
never had much fun with solo gaming, but I do have all of the Microquests
and have played about half of them. More often, I sort of GM'd them as a
combat adventure for my buddies. In fact, I did that with Grailquest just
last summer, and it was a big hit. Too bad there isn't something good to
follow that up with. The Thorsz (sp?) and those mystical curtain-separated
rooms aren't going to cut it for my RPG buddies, who want something a
little more character-driven or sophisticated.

BTW, I'm sure that in The Space Gamer, Starleader:Assault was at least
hinted to be the TFT science fiction game.

-MJ