(TFT) Re: TFT "Collectables"?

From: Guy McLimore <guymc@evansville.net>
> Philip Wiles at PAW@merichem.com on 7/14/98 8:33 AM said:
>
> >What is the deal with some of the outrageous pricing I've seen on TFT
> >items?  I just saw a bid for $20 on a (NM) copy of Wizard where the next
> >highest bid was $10 and the one prior to that was $5.
>
> Welcome to the merry world of the internet auction, where prices have
> nothing whatsoever to do with reality. As a toy collector, I've been
> seeing this for over a year now, and it was bound to hit the used game
> market eventually. Folks put something on ebay, and immediately some
> idiot thinks it's a "valuable collectable" and bids the price up out of
> the reach of common reality. I see commonly-available toys put on ebay
> all the time and watch them draw prices that are two to five times what
> the same item can be found for at your local Kay-Bee or We-Be-Toyz.

I've gotten some good bargains on games at ebay, including GURPS, Ars Magica, Behind
Enemy Lines, some computer games, etc.  I won't pay more than the thing is worth to
me, which is usually 1/2 cover price.  I've also sold some stuff on there, including MTG
cards, computer games, programming books, and RPGs.  I'm happy if I can make more than I
would by taking the stuff to the local Half-Price Books or game store to sell at 10%-20%
of face if I'm lucky.

---
Brett Slocum <slocum@io.com> -- MiB #0666 (Minneapolis, MN - CL) -- ICQ #13032903
* Illuminated Sitekeeper for Steve Jackson Games
* GURPS site:   http://www.io.com/~slocum/gurps.html
* Tekumel site: http://www.io.com/~slocum/tekumel.html
"Ah'm yer pa, Luke." -- if James Earl Ray was the voice of Darth Vader