(TFT) TFT: Defenses, adjST, & adjIQ

Dan Tulloh writes . . .

>Yeah, I know that is the way this one reads - but I don't usually think
>of it that way.  The problem with TFT is that the only real way you can
>defend yourself (without magic) is by either loading on the armor and/or
>beefing up the strength.  There just has to be some way you can parry or
>bob and weave without going into "full dodge or defend" modes.

   This is one way to do it.  Personally I prefer this bobbing and weaving
to be simulated with a penalty to the attacker's accuracy, rather than
abstracting it by increasing the number of hits stopped.  Come to think of
it, shields work this way in TFT -- a higher "armor class" instead of lower
attacker adjDX -- but this doesn't detract from my enjoyment of TFT.  I
could live with either method.
   (Tim Ray came to me at Hexworld one day and asked, "Dave, what's the DR
(i.e. hits stopped) of a DOOR?"  He was entering a reptile man into a
one-shot GURPS arena combat, and he wanted to use a door with two leather
straps added as a really big shield to trump all the anticipated enemy
archers.  Apparently a tower shield wasn't good enough . . .  he wanted
/complete/ protection.  We actually found the stats on the inside cover
of -- of all places -- GURPS Blank Maps.)
   I think there's a lot to be said for having a high DX to get in the first
shot as well -- offense being the best defense.  Missile and pole weapons
are good for this, but now that I think of it none of my solo characters use
either of them.  Mmmm . . .

Rick Smith writes . . .

>By the way, I would like to thank everyone who is posting
>new rules to the mailing list.  They are my favorite type of post.

   I'll be posting new stuff in the future then.  I've come up with a lot of
new material for my two campaigns.

Stan Rydzewski writes . . .

>> Adjusted IQ

>Have you considered extending this concept to ST?

   Actually, yes I had.  The idea of adjST was obvious after creating a new
character sheet which included a spot for Adjusted IQ -- kind of a
simulation of "health" for TFT characters.  Let's go ahead and write it up .
. .

Adjusted Strength
   Like Adjusted IQ, a character's Adjusted Strength ("adjST") can be
increased, at a cost of 2 extra hits/fatigue for every attribute point
spent.  So a figure with ST 10 (12) can weild a weapon with a ST minimum up
to 10, he can take 12 points of combined hits and fatigue before dying, and
those 2 extra ST points cost him 1 attribute point.

Michael Taylor writes . . .

>Adjusted IQ
>
>I think this is the best and most balanced proposal so far for increasing
>the skills someone can buy.

  Thanks for the kudos, guys.  Feedback from my own Sunday afternoon group
here in Austin has been positive, and personally I've had a lot of fun with
it.  It really unfetters the game and enhances roleplaying.
   Here's a sample character using the rule change.  Feel free to use him as
an NPC in your own campaigns.

SORAG -- Human Martial Wizard
   Sorag is a typical adventurer wizard; played by a young David ("Time
Bandits") Warner.  Just recently Sorag helped a party of three others find
the treasure of the silver dragon.  He doesn't make friends easily, so he
tends to stick with those who tolerate his gruff exterior.
   Just recently Sorag turned his time and money towards spell research --
winning honors from the Wizard's Guild for having invented the spell Summon
Dragonet.  Right now he's debating what to do with the wish he recieved as a
reward.  He'll probably either use it to increase an attribute, sell it, or
just keep it handy for an emergency.
   In a fight Sorag has three strategies he likes to use: 4-die lightning
bolts, throwing explosive gems, and conjuring illusions of giant octopi
armed with three bastard swords (which really rack up the experience
points).  Target priority tends to be enemy wizards first, then archers,
then everyone else.  He doesn't shy from "roll to miss" when shooting
lightning bolts with a party member in the way.
   Sorag lacks a short-range disabling thrown spell such as Sleep or Freeze,
as well as a serious summoning spell, and is considering the purchase of
magic books to study and learn these spells.  He used to own a 16 ST battery
and a Maintain Illusion ring -- his only major magic items -- but sold them
to finance his spell research.  He's also studying Thrown Weapons (to
quickly ready and throw magic gems) and Horsemanship (to increase his
mobility on the battlefield).  He has already spent the time necessary to
learn these talents, and now only requires the IQ points to buy them.
   Sorag and his group are now making preparations to go after the band of
brigands who have been preying upon merchant traffic in the northern Huldre
Forest area of the Duchy of Dran.  Before leaving he'll probably use his
money to buy another ST battery, and perhaps a single item with a few
defensive spells such as Reverse Missiles.

Age: 22
Job: Town Wizard ($120, 4/17)

AP 41 (+3)
ST 11
DX 17 (16)
IQ 15 (17)
MA 10 (8)

   Talents: Literacy (1), Quarterstaff (2), Missile Weapons (6).
   Spells: 3-Hex Fire, Reverse Missiles, Lightning, 4-Hex Illusion, Remove
Thrown Spell, Fireproofing, Mage Sight, Summon Dragonet.
   Handicaps: Odious (2), Fear of Snakes (1).
   Studying: Thrown Weapons, Horsemanship.
   Typical equipment: Fine leather armor (stops 3 hits, -1 DX), middle-class
clothing, lower-class clothing, staff (in the form of a quarterstaff, 1+2),
2 silver stilletos (one hidden in a boot, 1-3), 2 heal potions, wish ring,
shoulderbag, torch, waterskin, 37 days of rations, 1-man tent, personal
basics, his wizard's chest, and 3 spellbooks: Explosive Gem, Staff, and
Summon Dragonet.  Cash on hand/in bank: $31,351.6.

Dave Seagraves
Seagraves Design Bureau   dseagraves@austin.rr.com   1 (512) 255-2760
"I have personally saved the world /three/ times, and you give me a hard
time for killing /one/ little old lady!" -- overheard at a Champions game.