Re: (TFT) Talent Packaging for TFT

Okay. I just avoided that because I didnt want anyone to think I was
attacking them personally - I'm just attacking the idea!

it.

That's my fundamental problem with it. Free Points. The discount seems to
be given just because Champions did it. There wasn't any logical basis for
it in Champions either! (IMHO).

Otherwise, grouping Talents to make NPCs is just like grouping them for
Jobs. I think it's a terrific tool for the GM.

Hmmmm....your making it even faster to create TFT characters....? I wasn't
aware that it was all tha slow...

Couldn't this lead to players spending less time thinking about their
characters are indvidiuals and more time looking for the most
cost-effective packages? Isn't this indirectly 'punishing' roleplaying
because your NOT giving a discount to someone who makes a *unigue* ranger?

Some GM's DO feel that Talents cost too much... I'm not one of them. Since
I always allow "default" rolls against your attributes, I feel like if you
buy a Talent, your extra special at that ability. So anyone can make their
3/DX Driving rolls to avoid hitting a stray dog that crosses the road. But
if you have the Driver talent you can be Car Wars driver.

So if anyone doesn't want to pay the 'high' cost of a talent, they can
always just attempt it without the talant. Also, I'll allow the AdjIQ rules
seen in previous posts.

But I would have no problem with a reduction in the cost of some Talents,
but only if its across the board. Giving special discounts for players for
the sole reason that they came up with some backstory twist seems like a
way to encourage players to alter their backstories to get the bonus
points!

That way leads to... Van Nuys...

That's what I mean. *Everone* has a Code of Honor! (from Ursula Le Guin's
Left Hand of Darkness, paraphrased Q: "What makes a man a traitor?", A:
"Well, no one considers themselves a traitor, which makes it very hard to
do research..."). So it seems like giving away points for it is like giving
away points for fingernails....

Duty might make more sense if they had a specific obligation to do
something...but these don't make very good disadvantages for roleplaying
because it's a pretty artificial limitation. In real life we have duties,
but they only limit us in the ways that we let them. You generaly always
have a duty to the job you have!

In other words, having a Job is definitely a Disadvantage. But since
everyone considered 'normal' has one, it shouldn't be worth any points.
Adventurers should get the -4 point Disadvantage Adventurer ("Vagabond,
untrustworthy, overconfident, lazy, dreamer"). Well, they DO get it - this
is why normals are about 28 points and Adventurers are 32 points!

This is exactly why I like to keep the points out of it!

Good question! Actually, I *have* thought about it for years! There are
certain benefits to grouping like Talents. Mainly, that your backstory will
make sense. "Let's see, your a Fencing expert with Courtly Graces and
Bola?"

But I haven't been able to come up with anything that works. Basically, I
like the way the Job list works. If you have those Talents all together,
your much more likely to get the job than some who's a TFT "Liberal
Arts/Anything I feel like learning" character.

I basically create the package and don't give them free points, but I do
give free equipment. The idea being that if you have had this job and are
not a 'weekend' ranger, then you automatically are considered to have some
appropraite equipment (all stolen from WFRP packages).

Therefore, my ranger package looks like this:

WOODMSAN
IQ 11 (10 CP)
TALENTS: Silent Movement (9/2), Tracking (10/1), Gardener (9/2), Language
(Secret Woodsman Signs, 6/1), Trap Making (11/2), Ax/Mace (7/2),
FREE STARTING EQUIPMENT: Battle Axe (3d6), Leather Armor (2 HS, -2/-2)

Not entirely satisfactory and very expensive, but it definetly makes my
rangers dedicated rangers! Like you its mostly used for NPCs.

Michael

====Post to the entire list by writing to tft@brainiac.com.