(TFT) Lurker's copy, Solo-Quest pbem Turn-3

Solo-Quest Turn-03 results
September 06, 1999.

358 ATL, month of Planting, day 7th, evening

   As the party relaxes in their new accomodations and celebrates
their new-found wealth and employment, Lar proposes a toast to their
future successes and afterwards, states to the party:

"Companions,

You have received a stipend from the Duke of $400 and I because I am your
leader have received $800.  Except for sustenance, a priest of Garda has no
need for many physical things except to further Garda's wishes.
I will only accept the $400 for the month.  The other $400 will go to
support the party at large.  The same can be said of my weekly pay of $200,
$100 for my upkeep and $100 for the party at large.
   This shall be the start of a common party treasury that all may draw upon
for special needs and allow us to purchase special items that we may not
individually be able to afford, but would serve the party well for us to
have."

  "For example, it may be used for the purchase of "fine" armor or weapons
if such can be found at cost we can afford, or for the replenishment of
healing and other potions. If our treasury grows great enough, we may be
able to eventually purchase a magic item or two to assist us, as befits our
needs."
   Thus said, Lar tosses a fat purse containing half his advance onto the
centre of the table, squarely upon a large tin serving plate now empty of
the score of tarts it held but minutes ago.

   There is a thoughtful pause as your words and actions sink in and the
party exchanges looks with each other, then with a nod of their heads they
each add to the tray until it is filled with shiny silver coinage. With the
many hands tossing coins and purses onto the pile all at once it is
impossible to determine who threw how much, but when tallied the total
comes to $3700! A staggering amount! Everyone in the party had to have
thrown in on average $400 each to come up with so much silver, and someone
had to throw in more. You look at them closely as you announce the tally and
they all seem surprised at the total, especially Panem, you think.

   Panem looks around the table and stands, raising his hands for quiet
as he states to Lar,
    "Leader fine and powerful; he who can organize a war party in no time
flat (grinning); greetings!
   It may be of use for the party to have supplies of the sort
of the magic lock-picking equipment such as the Scholar R. W. Smith
devised many ages ago.  If you would buy the items with party funds,
I would trouble myself to locate a source of purchase and then guard them
and keep them safe. I'm sure we could all benefit from them."

    That was a most uncharacteristic outburst from the normally reserved
Panem, but you figure he got caught up in the mood and wanted to put in
his bid for some new "toys" to play with. Yes, you think, they could
indeed come in handy from time to time, and the amount of suddenly
appearing cash would certainly cover them with much to spare. You'll
have to talk this out amongst the party, you think, and see what is most
desperately needed. May be time to ask everyone to volunteer some info
about any "goodies" they may have so you can allocate them wisely for
combat, but for now another drink seems to be called for.

    You shake your head in wonder at the generosity and teamwork just
evidenced here and everyone is looking around at each other and slapping
themselves on the back and proposing even more toasts, "To Us!" and
"To Lar" and to anything else they can think of. It is at this point
that Circe seems to open her eyes wide with sudden thought, gives you a
dirty look, and stands up saying:

"Lar Axelrod! How dare you ruin a perfectly good chance to toast our
success! When are you going to name us? We can't just run around calling
ourselves the "un-named scouts" or Lar's band, can we? It would be bad
luck indeed to start off un-named!"

    All heads nod in agreement at her words and you hear several cries
of, "Name us!", "Name us!", "Name us!" amidst the banging of many mugs
against the hard table top. They all look at you expectantly and you
now wish you hadn't had quite so much to drink. Blessed Garda! Now you
have to come up with a valiant name for your brave band of Scouts and
Adventurers.

    While you rise and try to think frantically of ANY name, you notice
Capt. Verron returning with several scroll cases, probably containing
the maps and scout information the Duke promised.

    You do what seems called for and STALL!

"Look!", you say. "Capt. Verron has returned with the maps and scout
reports for us to examine. Let us peruse them and make plans while we,
together, think of a fitting name for our band. We have 3 days to
prepare ourselves and present a plan of action for Duke Verron's approval."

   Circe gives you one of those "saved by the bell" smirks and settles
down in her chair to await the reports. There are five seperate reports
for you to examine, all somewhat sketchy and lacking of details but all
seemingly serious threats to some degree.

Scroll-1:
    Details a solitary scout's report on encountering a small band of
goblin raiders. They were southwest of both Wereskalot and Lord Pylar's
realms, about three and a half days travel away, as marked on your
report's map with a red "X" and the word "goblins".
    He estimated their number at a score, plus a Giant. He saw no
obvious wizards present but assumes at least one or more were in fact
there as Goblins go nowhere without mage support, at least not to his
knowledge. He saw mostly cloth armor and spears evident with a smattering
of light bows as well as a few scouts mounted on large wolves. Luckily
he was downwind of them and wasn't spotted. They were camped when he
spotted them and the report is fresh, that is to say it's from this morning,
meaning he saw them 3 days travel ago.

Scroll-2:
    Is a rather short note on sighting Reptilemen on the northern
edge of Lake Evendim. A party of six scouts was searching the lake area
for hard data on numbers of Orcs present when they were seen by the
reptile men first and immediately fired upon with large numbers of
light crossbows. The range was extreme, however, and they only had
one man seriously wounded. They withdrew immediately as they were
outnumbered by at least three to one. From the immediacy of the
attack, they can only assume that the Reptilemen have allied with the
Orcs and may also have to be fought. This occured some 8 days hard travel
from Wereskalot.

Scroll-3:
    The same party of six scouts spotted a large warparty of Orcs
while returning from their brush with the reptilemen. They numbered
some 40-50 Orcs with at least 2-3 shamen leading them, as well as
a small handful of Ogres. They seemed to be heading North but were
arguing a lot and not moving too fast. Most appeared armed with
leather armor and shield and equipped with swords or spears. They
also noticed a lack of missile weapons of any sort, which seemed
odd, unless there were more of them and everyone with a bow of some
kind happened to be out hunting at the time. This was some 4 1/2 days
south west of Wereskalot, probably closer by now.

Scroll-4:
    Lord Pylar, the ruler of the Kingdom touching Wereskalot's territory
to the north and west, has reported problems with Goblin raiders harrassing
his village of Teel at the western edge of his lands where they border
the forest adjoining "Two Island Lake". His men at arms have also recovered
human bodies with the goblins during repelled raids and many silver coins
marked with Lord Tyrone's stamp. Lord Tyrone is his neighbour across the
lake
and has always been somewhat hostile towards Lord Pylar. He feels that it
is possible that Lord Tyrone has hired the Goblins to raid him and weaken
him in preparation for war. Lord Pylar is wondering if his old comrade,
Duke Verron, can help him.

Scroll-5:
    The coastal fortified village of Seaside has come under attack both by
Orcs and presumed Pirates. The fishermen can only fish in sight of the
walls right inside the tiny bay where the "Gentle river" empties into it.
To set out for deeper waters where the fishing is far better invites almost
guaranteed attack from multiple pirate ships. The land is also infested with
aggressive Orcs, making travel almost impossible to or from the village.
It may soon fall if this siege isn't lifted. They have water in plenty from
the river and some fish are still caught, but their garrison is small as
they have steadfastly refused to swear allegiance to any of the rulers in
their area. Thus, they are barely able to defend their walls from small
raids
and can't possibly stand against a determined attack. The time could be ripe
to send them an envoy offering protection in return for their oath of
allegiance to Duke Verron.

    That is all listed on the various reports you have for your party
to study. Capt Verron also warned you, before he departed, that the lands
marked south of Lake Evendim were from years ago, before the Orcs invaded
and took control of much of the land. He can't vouch for the accuracy of
any territories outlined on them, but he is sure that they must have pushed
the other Humans and Dwarves out of much of their old lands. That is why it
is so important to expand south towards the Lake so the Duke can establish
a naval force there and gain control of the waters and coastal areas. Then
he can build up a navy to eliminate the pirates and open up sea passage
once more.

   You now have much to think about and plan for before you meet the Duke
again
in three days. And you also have a "name" to come up with.

   Happy planning!

Mack
(The game is afoot!)