Re: (TFT) plate and half-plate...opinions wanted

From: "Cas Liber" <casliber@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: (TFT) plate and half-plate...opinions wanted
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 17:02:57 -0000

Dear all
I agree with the smiths
one of the great things about TFT is the tradeoff between adjDX penalty and armour, where you have to think a bit between an agile guy/swashbuckler and a human tank. This used to really annoy me in D&D where basically, the more armour you had, the better - the
only people who didn't have armour was because they weren't allowed
to. I personally would be loath to alter the DX or movement penalties for armour. In our TFT campaigns, many folk settled for magical leather or chain for this reason.
Cas.

I somewhat agree with you, Cas. I would be loath to *remove* the DX or movement penalties from armor, but I would be willing to alter them slightly. As is (even with my interest in altering them), these rules allow a very quick guide to moving and striking without any number crunching to make adjustments if you drop 10 kilograms or pick up a heavey shield.

On your comment about D&D, I never bothered with rolling dice to come up with a character (I started out with TFT & my D&D friends can't change me), so I decide what I want my character to be and then decide what my stats are for that level character. Since it gets boring being invincible, rarely will I have more than 3 stats be above 16 and rarely will I have a character in anything above Splint. It wasn't a question of will this provide the best protection. I just don't visualize some of my scrawny fighters in plate. And this is regardless of how dangerous the GM says the game is going to be!

Hail Melee,
John Paul