Re: (TFT) Creating the mood

WOW!

Incredible timing (as usual) group! I am starting a campaign today and was wondering the very same thing. I was going to put on the Braveheart soundtrack and some Chieftans music. To me there is no better music for setting a desperate and barbaric tone than Celtic music!
Thanks for the other suggestions too.

Jim-

Howdy Gamers

How do you set up a mood to game?  Do you turn down the lights, light up
the candles, pour the ale in a pewter or wooden mug, put out bagettes and
lumps of cheese that your crew has to cut with their daggers?

I found that music can set the mood for gaming.  Here is a list of albums
or composers that are used by my groups:

	Movie albums
		Last of the Mohicans
		Conan the Barbarian
		Lord of the Rings
		Star Wars

	Rock Groups
		Led Zepplin
		Moody Blues
		Blue Oyster Cult
		Black Sabbath
		Inna-Gadda-Davida

	Classical
		Carmina Burana
		Edgar Grieg's Pier Gynt Suite
		Lorena Mckinnet
		Any Celtic music

	Other
		There's a orchestra version of Zepplin songs that is great
		Haunted house effects

Obviously I'm not listing half of what I play (can't think of them
right now), but you get the idea.

Are there any mood enhancements that you like to use?

Hail Melee,
John Paul

Here is what some of our intrepid crew do:

Perry Holly
My short list for FRPG background music...

Soundtracks:
Army of Darkness
Conan the Barbarian
Hercules
Xena
Mulan, tracks 6-11 (ingnore the cutesy songs and go straight for the
orchestral score)
The Frighteners
"Legend" by Clannad (soundtrack for the British 'Robin of Sherwood' TV
series)

      THIS ROBIN HOOD SERIES IS ABSOLUTELY GREAT!  I RECOMMEND
      ALL TO VIEW IT.  I BELIEVE SOME EPISODES ARE OUT ON VIDEO.
          - JPB

Classical pieces:
Holst - "The Planets"
Mussorgsky - "Night on Bald Mountain"
Wagner - "Ride of the Valkryies"
Mozart - "Requiem"
Greig - "In the Hall of the Mountain King"

Stan

Before a TFT game we usually turn out all the lights, form
everyone up in a marching order, and spend a few minutes
trying to navigate around the basement while only turning
at 60 degree angles.  Then we go back upstairs, charge
at each other with padded rattan pikeaxes, and start the
game.

Well, it works for us.

     WOW.  DO YOU EVER SIMULATE AN ATTACK ON EACHOTHER USING
     THIS CONCEPT?  THIS IS WHERE SOME OF THE AUSTRALIAN
     LIVE ACTION RPG COMES IN I WOULD THINK.

Rodney

In the game I ran last month, when the players were exploring a
damp cave with a running stream, I used some of my wife's
"relaxation" tapes. The one I used for the above setting was
"Mountian Stream". It had the sound of running water and a constant
dripping/bubbling sound. It really helped to bring out
the ambiance of the place. My favorite is "Forest Clearing", complete with
chirping birds and a gentle breeze blowing through
the branches.

I checked through her tape library and she doesn't have "Goblin
Slaughter" or "Orc Horde on the move at the coming of spring". Bummer

        MY SUGGESTION FOR ORC HORDE ON THE MOVE AT THE COMING
        OF SPRING:  The Lord of the Rings Soundtrack!  WHEN
        YOU HEAR 'THE ORCS TAKING HELMS DEEP' RUMBLING AT 80
        DECIBLES ALL AROUND YOU, YOU KNOW THERE IS GOING TO BE
        AN ENCOUNTER OF EPIC PROPORTIONS.

        LIKE RODNEY, I USE NATURE TAPES SOMETIMES:  THUNDER STORM
        IS A GOOD ONE.

Any other gamer tricks of the trade?

Hail Melee,
John Paul