Re: (TFT) Rule of Five

I also think it's a great idea.

well.

It doesn't need to be justified, but it makes it a lot less arbitrary if it
is well justified.

Reality has nothing to do with a justification for an arbitrary rule.

Having the justification for a rule doesn't make it any more realistic.
"Clerics don't use knives because they are forbidden to shed blood" is not
more realistic than "Its there for game balance".

It's just makes for more interesting role-playing of cleric.

Also, modeling has nothing to do with the justification for an arbitrary
rule. The justification for the rule of 5 would not make it more accurately
model any particular magic system.

It would just make for more interesting role-playing, that's all.

TFT DID get as big as D&D at one time - then Metagaming stopped publishing
it and Steve Jackson traded the rights for it for Ogre. Had TFT continued
to be published it's likely it would have easily surpassed D&D.

Of course, it would have had to add the production values and large
distribution channel that also helped D&D, but everything that was
successful after that point in gaming history had to add that.

I dont think it needs to be justified from a modeling viewpoint. I just
think it would be more intersting and less aribtrary if it were justified
from ANY viewpoint!

(Personally, I've alway kept it optional - optional for me as a GM that is!
If I need it, I'll use it - but I've never needed it. I don't hand out
enough magic items for it to come up!).

Michael

====Post to the entire list by writing to tft@brainiac.com.