(TFT) Re: your mail

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, David Michael Grouchy II wrote:

>    Also Dan, I thought that chainmail, while begin good at stopping
> puncturing weapons, was terrible at stopping a rapier.  From what
> I have read the rapier was invented to pass through chainmail un-
> hindered and heralded in the era of no armour similar to the Three
> Musketeers Genera.

Well, chainmail is susceptible to anything which can pass through
the links.  The smaller the links, the harder it is for a puncturing
or piercing weapon to get through.

Rapiers have pretty narrow, thin blades, so you might be right here.
In general though, I think the statement can be made that chainmail
is much better at protecting its wearer from piercing/thrusting
weapons than bashing/bludgeoning ones (or crushing, to use GURPS
parlance.)

Dan Tulloh
daniel@jaws.greatwhite.com