Re: (TFT) Re: I knew this guy

In a message dated 11/6/99 12:54:30 AM Central Standard Time,
grabowski@erols.com writes:

<< <<<Personally, I would say that one of the players isn't roleplaying and
 talk
 to him as a player. The underlying assumption of a "party" is that no
 matter how much they disagree or hate each other - they don't kill each
 other. The adventure-based literature and movies these games emulate simply
 don't have members of the same 'party' killing each other.

 What do the rest think?>>>

 Totally agree!!!  If I had a player like this he wouldn't be a player that I
 would invite a second time.  This is a person who just wants to spoil a RPG
 experience for other players.  The good thing is that David (excellent job
 Mr. Grouchy) just continued playing around that players obnoxiousness until
 hopefully that person gave up the ghost and either left or fell in line with
 the rest of the players.  This reminds me of what Tom Snyder did to Gary
 Gygax on his Late Show back in the 70s when discussing the new-born
 popularity of D&D.
 Example:
 Gygax:  You come to a door what do you do?
 Snyder:  I knock!  Ha! Ha!

 In trying to explain the game, Snyder just made fun of it!
 Then again how many of us can say the same thing happens to us when we
 mention to someone we play RPG's, especially one titled The Fantasy Trip.

I think I would have to disagree with the above statement on not allowing
PC's to kill each other. It really depends on what kind of campaign you are
doing. If it is a high fantasy campaign, based on JRR Tolkien or the like,
yes, having players kill each other off is not in the spirit of the
literature. But that doesn't hold for some of the more recent low fantasy
books, treachery, betrayal and yes, even murder among the people who are the
main characters is common. If you look into legends that this type of game is
based on, you can find many instances that supposed "good" guys fought and
killed each other. I would only penalize the player who killed another if it
was definately out of character for this to happen, i.e. a "noble" knight
kills a weaker PC, one who didn't offer a real threat to him. As far as
character interaction of this kind, I've always allowed the players to sort
out the party politics their own way, my job is to guide them thru my world,
not be their babysitters. I find that the punishment other players inflict on
each other tends to discourage this type of thing anyway, so it tends to be
rare.