Re: (TFT) Another HtH concern

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Joe Hartley wrote:

> The recent revelation about the HtH rules does leave one problem.
>
> Okay, if some HtH-intent figure charges at someone, he has to stop
> movement when he becomes engaged, so he has to wait until the next
> turn's movement phase to actually make his HtH attempt.  That's all
> well and good.  Let 'em wait.

This is bogus.  My copy of AM states on page 6 under "ENGAGED AND
DISENGAGED" that "A one-hex figure is engaged if it is in one of
the front hexes of an armed enemy.  If a figure is directly behind
a foe, the front figure is engaged, but the rear one is not."  It
then goes on to clarify this in an illustration, Rolf is not
engaged but Bjorn is.

It then goes on to say under the rules for Hand-to-Hand combat
that "A figure may move ONTO an enemy figure's hex, initiating
HTH combat, if ... (c) the attacker comes in from the rear."

Clearly, disengaged figures may initiate HTH combat.

> a figure armed with a pike axe charge-attacks someone.  In doing so
> he becomes adjacent.  The charge attack isn't resolved until after
> the movement phase, so the figure being charged can (assuming HtH
> conditions are met) now attempt HtH vs. the pike-wielding figure
> in his portion of the movement phase, before the charge attack.

Only if the charging Pikeman (b) has a lower MA or (d) agrees to
the HTH combat. (and why would he do that?)

> Is there a problem with resolving HtH attempts on the attackers DX
> like everything else?  Why does it need this special "resolved
> in the movement phase" rule at all?

To see why this is so, look at the illustration on page 6.  Assume
that Rolf has just moved up behind Bjorn and has announced his
intention to initiate HTH.  Bjorn is now engaged.  When his turn
to move comes, all he has to do is spin in place and then refuse
to agree to HTH!  HTH MUST be resolved under movement for this
reason - otherwise, it becomes practically impossible to
implement it.

Dan Tulloh
daniel@jaws.greatwhite.com