Re: (TFT) TFT Campaigns

From: "Brennan O'Brien" <veilheim@yahoo.com>
Subject: (TFT) TFT Campaigns
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:18:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi all...

A question which has been bugging me for a while, and
I am wondering if any of you have dealt with this...

It seems to me that in a roleplaying game of TFT that
experience over time would make for some pretty hefty
characters.  I was wondering what some of you have
done in longer campaigns to either keep the power
level in check (you know, when the characters are
getting to IQ25, and they have (it seems) every skill
available)?

Thoughts??

Brennan

Bugging you. Hahah, this question has been eating me alive. I hate this question. The first time I heard it was in a D&D newsgroup on Delphi.com back in 1991. Then it was asked on rec.games.frp.dnd in 1993. I always prefered TFT anyway and when I found this mailing list I thought to myself 'surely the question won't come up here!' The problem I have with it is it is never specific enough. I could, and have, written thousands of words on the subject, but it doesn't matter. Imagine I am a high level assasin you are employing to kill a high level hero named 'Conan'. Which of the following statements would you use?
 ''I want you to kill a high level guy''
 ''I want you to kill Conan''
 I can kill Conan.  I don't stand a chance against some guy.

 With this in mind, answer some questions for me.
 How did this guy get to 25 IQ?
 How many times has he been revived from death?
 Did the player bring this guy up from a begining character?
 Has the player ever had a character die before?
 Is this guy married and does his wife even like him?
 Does this guy have any children who can't wait to inheirit?

In lieu of the answers here are the higlights of the infomation about handling some high level guy.

A begining character ST:8 DX:8 IQ:16, could acheive 25 IQ with only 1,500 exp or a mere nine critical sucesses on the job table.

 IQ 190 covers all tallents
     29        all mundane tallents
     15        listed languages

 IQ 122 covers all spells
     19        all command words

 Grand total to cover all spells and tallents
 IQ 375

This means that even dragons have room for improvement. It can also be inverted. If these spells and talents were divided into about 38 people, that group could know everything. Ali Baba and the fourty theives may have had all the talent in the world.

  David Michael Grouchy II