[no subject]

"Cas Liber" <casliber@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> I was just thinking - just looking at the Vampyre rules from an
> Interplay magazine, this just reminds me how underdone undead are
> in TFT, as if Howard and Steve weren't really into the
> priest/undead/holy stuff/vampire axis of roleplaying. Funny really.

I don't think it's a case of rushed development so much as it's
a deliberate "anti-supernatural" bent where as much as possible
is chalked up to more-or-less rational explanations.

Vampires and werewolves?  That's just some sort of disease.

Priests?  Yeah, they make a good living.

Gods?  Maybe they're there, but no one can prove it.

Supernatural evil?  Well, there are these guys called 'demons',
                    but they're not so much evil as really
                    irritable.

Yeah, kind of a tepid approach to heroic fantasy.  I think this came
about as a reaction against some of the common excesses of late 70's
D&D play, wherein the cast of thousands in "Gods, Demi-Gods and
Heroes" make regular appearances to strongarm the PC's or get killed
by mega-characters.  SJ or Howard or whoever just wanted to avoid the
whole issue.