Re: (TFT) Felmen

From: "rsmith" <rsmith@lightspeed.ca>

	No strong opinions on these races.  However,
what do people think of having races with higher
starting attributes gain exp at a slower rate.  In
my experience, tho 'fair', this rule takes some of
the fun out of the game.

Rick,
After the first 3 years of runing a TFT campaign I was surprised to find how balanced the double exp races were. All the human/normal exp races had outstripped the big races. But in a short term campaign the big races have a huge advantage. I specifically remember players eye-ballin other GMs, sizing them up and thinking to themselves "is this gonna last, or is this campaign gonna end early?" If they didn't have confidence in the GM they would invariably make a big race character. But if they felt the GM could really go the distance they always went for a normal exp race. I started to have some trouble with this when I ran one-shot adventures. Everyone would make a reptile man or a gargoyle. So I had to make a limited list of starting races for those. But in long term campaigns the double exp races have a kind of poetic justice to them. "Sure, your giant is big and bad now." I would think to myself, "But just wait till everyone else starts catching up, and then blows past you."

   David Michael Grouchy II