Re: (TFT) Staff spell? --> Wizard vs. Fighter balance

In a message dated 4/3/2003 5:23:02 AM Central Standard Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

>    However, where does this end?  Staff nunchuks,
> staff spears, staff maces?  Would it not be logical
> to rule that ANY largely wooden weapon can be boosted
> for +1 die of damage by casting a staff on it?

Why does it even need to be wooden? IMC, I allow the "Staff" spell on daggers
and swords - but I require the weapon to be non-ferrous (e.g. silver). Thus a
wizard might have a silver dagger with the Staff spell on it.

>    Basically, the above uses are fine except
> that it makes wizards pretty kick ass fighters.
> Yes they do have to spend double for the
> appropriate talents and take the Staff spell (so
> they are paying for that extra die of damage)
> but are they paying enough?  Probably not, but
> no easy way to fix with out making special rules.

It's a +3.5 damage bonus. A wizard can already put up to a +5 damage bonus on
a weapon with an IQ 14 spell (Weapon/Armor enchantment). Staff is cheaper
because it requires only IQ 8 and negligible time and silver, vs IQ 14, 8-16
weeks (for a wizard working alone), and $2400-4800.

The big limitation on the Staff is that the wizard can only have one, and can
only use it himself. Whether the Staff damage bonus is too cheap depends on
how much the GM thinks this limitation is worth.

If you think it's too much damage, too cheap, you could house-rule that the
Staff spell increases an item's weapon-damage to 1 die, or adds +1 point
damage bonus to weapons that already do 1 die or more.

--
Erol K. Bayburt
ErolB1@aol.com