(TFT) Priests again

I've never liked the way TFT handled priest's and magic and I think I have
figured a way to solve it to some extent but would like some feedback from the
group.

Anyway this is what I was thinking
Priest's would be allowed to learn talents as per the basic list and as long
as a spell is 3 IQ levels lower than the Priest's IQ would be able to learn
those spells at the same cost as a Wizard(pre-requisite being Priest). Spells
that are not 3 IQ levels lower than the Priest's IQ could still be learned but
at a cost of 3 to learn with the standard rules that the PC can't learn any
spells greater than his IQ.
A priest would only be allowed to learn half as many spells as his base IQ(or
half of his ADJ IQ, knowledge, if the optional rule is being used.

Any thoughts on how this would effect game play and mechanics?

Robert